How to avoid duplications within Launch Services

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.5 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Around once or twice a week, I find that my (Right Click) Launch Services have multiple duplications; eg 3 copies of "Open with Preview", or PDFpenPro.

Sure, it's easy to sort the problem using OnyX > Maintenance > Rebuilding > Launch Services.

But why does this happen and are there ways of minimising the likelihood of this occurring?

My signature shows my Mac details. Using Mavericks.

As always, I shall be most grateful for any help.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, MacBook Pro
You can skip Onyx and just use the Terminal and enter:

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user

I've made this an alias in my profile so I don't have to type it each time.

OP
IWT

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.5 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Thank you, rmunde, for your kindness in taking time out to respond so promptly.

I have to admit that find Terminal downright scary, but that is a reflection of my immaturity in programming and the knowledge that much harm has come the way of those "tinkering" with it.

I recognise that the problem is no more than a nuisance. The resolution, by whatever means, is not an issue. I was just wondering if the duplication of these services was, more or less, an inevitability or whether it could be avoided or reduced by more prudent actions on my part.

In any event, I am most grateful to you.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.