How to access wifi on non-activated Iphone 5 without a sim card?

Reaction score
It woudn't let me connect to my wifi Network, and I was told that you can use it without the sim card by the tech support lady. How can I do it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's correct, you do not need a sim card installed to use an iPhone over WiFi. Without a sim card, your iPhone 5 will act just like an iPod Touch. I've done exactly that with an older iPhone 4. What kind of error are you getting if any? If your WiFi network is protected (it should be) you will need to supply the password to the iPhone during setup.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2012 Mac Mini i5, macOS 10.15.4, iPhone 11 Pro Max, PowerBook G4, iMac G3/4/5
When I reset my iPhone 3GS to use it as an iPod, I had to insert a SIM card to get it working initially, then I took it out and it's been fine since. I also keep it partially sync'd (contacts etc) and loaded with a SIM card adapter so that if I ever need to, I can pull the sim from my 5s and use the 3GS as a phone again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.