How to Access User Library (OSX 10.7) from External Drive?

Reaction score
Dear Mac Forum,

My mid 2011 MacBook Pro (2.2 i7, 10gbRAM, 6750m) has begun only booting to a grey screen despite PRAM and SMC resets and plenty of HDD Space. I haven't tried all the solutions but the Hard Drive is bootable from a friend's mac mini, and thus I have recovered most of my files. HOWEVER, there is one folder in my user library that want to back up. I understand that one can use the finder, terminal, or 'alt' key on the actual computer to access the user library, but right now I am looking at the hard drive via another iMac, and its viewable via USB since I have a USB-SATA adapter. Is there a way to access the user library when viewing the hard drive via an adapter like this? It's not booted, just being viewed as though it were an external drive.

Thanks in advance for your help folks!

- Ellery

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I believe you will have to unhide the user library first when booted from OS X before you will be able to view it from the adapter. Use the terminal from OS X 10.7 to unhide the library so that it remains viewable.

The terminal command to unhide it is: chflags nohidden ~/Library/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Reaction score
Or you could use Terminal: cd /Volumes/nameofdrive/Users/yourname/Library

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.