How much RAM ??

A

Abira_Kam

recently I've bought an ibook with 256 mb ram on board. and I intend to increase it.... how much RAM will be enough for gaming?? :headphone

OP
X

xthisisRomancex

ut oh... gaming... are we talking like.. DOOM 3 .. gaming or solitar gameing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
^You cant run too many games on an iBook. I have the latest gen iBook with the max ram allowed(1280mb) and I dont think WC3 runs as good as it did on my old PC. MY PC had a 128mb GeForce FX 5900 SE though, iBooks have a 32mb ATI raedon. You can run games decently if you just add another 512mb stick. Thats what Id do...

OP
A

Abira_Kam

xthisisRomancex said:
ut oh... gaming... are we talking like.. DOOM 3 .. gaming or solitar gameing.

let's take Doom 3..... Call Of Duty ..)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Abira_Kam said:
let's take Doom 3..... Call Of Duty ..)

Well Doom 3 is a no go on the iBook

Doom 3 Mac Requirements said:
Mac Requirements:
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.3.8 or later
CPU Processor: PowerPC G4/G5 or later
CPU Speed: 1.5GHz or faster
Memory: 512 MB or higher
Hard Disk Space: 2.0GB free disk space
Video Card (ATI): Radeon 9600 or better
Video Card (NVIDIA): GeForce FX5200 or better
Video Memory (VRam): 64 MB
Media Required: DVD Drive

Recommended System Requirements
CPU Processor: PowerPC G5
CPU Speed: 2.0GHz or faster
Video RAM: 128MB

And Call of Duty will run, but it will be kinda choppy. Other games like THPS4 run fine, as do older versions of Unreal and UT. Honestly though, if you are looking for gaming, my suggestion would be PS2 or XBox, or a Windows PC. Unfortunately, gaming is the one area that Macs really don't perform all that well in. (Unless of course you have a tricked out dual G5 system :) )

OP
M

mangoSharingan

Warcraft 3 runs perfectly fine on my 1.2Ghz iBook with 768MB RAM. UT2004 is playable too. I use my PS2 for my gaming needs though.

OP
A

Abira_Kam

D3v1L80Y said:
Well Doom 3 is a no go on the iBook

And Call of Duty will run, but it will be kinda choppy. Other games like THPS4 run fine, as do older versions of Unreal and UT. Honestly though, if you are looking for gaming, my suggestion would be PS2 or XBox, or a Windows PC. Unfortunately, gaming is the one area that Macs really don't perform all that well in. (Unless of course you have a tricked out dual G5 system :) )

hm I've Installed Unreal 2004 .. yeah it ran .... but in Russia in my rigion I can't find plenty of mac games for test ibook.... ((

OP
A

Abira_Kam

and what about Warcraft..... it doesn't run... While it's installing a message of error shows...(( I have bad version )

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.