how much memory?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 8GB Airport Extreme w/2 250gb Seagates Fusion 3 w/Windows 7
I have a Macbook Pro - base 13in. I am using Fusion 3 and Windows 7. One application I use a lot on the windows side is Garmin's Mapsouce. It is running really slow. Would I see a major improvement if I bump it to 4gb of memory?

If so how much should I add, and where is best place to buy?

Second question about this...is there a better application that will fun on the Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Dont know much about Garmin. but they do do Mac OS software

OP
Gottcha9
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
unfortunately Mapsouce is not one of them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
I quickly checked on Google and there are some indications that Garmin is providing MapSource functionality on OS X.
I never used Garmin apps on Mac so I am not sure

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
To actually answer your question though, yea, more RAM usually makes a VM perform better.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many devices to list
I have a Macbook Pro - base 13in. I am using Fusion 3 and Windows 7. One application I use a lot on the windows side is Garmin's Mapsouce. It is running really slow. Would I see a major improvement if I bump it to 4gb of memory?
Upgrading the memory will help but only if you allocate more to your VM. How much do you have allocated to the Windows VM right now? What are the system requirements for MapSource?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I quickly checked on Google and there are some indications that Garmin is providing MapSource functionality on OS X.
I never used Garmin apps on Mac so I am not sure Cheers ... McBie

Garmin provides Map Install and Map Manager for OS X but not MapSource as the OP indicated. I have a new Garmin Nuvi which is fully supported in OS X with regard to installing new maps and updates (by subscription) but no MapSource.

Perhaps later on Garmin will provide MapSource, but for now it looks like it's only for Windows.

Regards.

OP
Gottcha9
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I currently only have 2GB and have it split evenly. Mac side seems to run ok, but windows seems really slow

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many devices to list
The system requirements for Windows 7 list 1GB of RAM as a minimum (2GB if you're using the 64-bit version). So, you're using the minimum. On top of that, you're virtualizing Windows which will make it feel slower.

OP
Gottcha9
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sounds like a memory purchase in my near future<G>

OP
Gottcha9
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
CT999660 4GB kit (2GBx2), 204-pin SODIMM
shop for moreMacBook Pro 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (13-inch DDR3) MB990LL/A Mid-2009 DDR3 upgrades

is this what I need for the entry level 13in Macbook Pro?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it's 1066MHz DDR3, then yea.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.66GHz / 4GB / 320GB / Matte 15"
I currently only have 2GB and have it split evenly. Mac side seems to run ok, but windows seems really slow
When deciding how much ram to use, one must look up the system requirements for the operating system _and_ the program or programs (applications) you plan to run. Then add these two numbers together. Win 7 runs best on 2GB, then ad in the amount the program takes, now you have the total. So to answer your question, the minimum ram for you is 4GB. Also remember that the manufacturers only list _minimum_ requirements. Its not unusual for any OS or application to run much better on more than the bare minimum. This is why your Win7 OS is slow.
Cheers...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2008 MBP
When deciding how much ram to use, one must look up the system requirements for the operating system _and_ the program or programs (applications) you plan to run. Then add these two numbers together. Win 7 runs best on 2GB, then ad in the amount the program takes, now you have the total. So to answer your question, the minimum ram for you is 4GB. Also remember that the manufacturers only list _minimum_ requirements. Its not unusual for any OS or application to run much better on more than the bare minimum. This is why your Win7 OS is slow.
Cheers...

I would say as a general rule, when micro soft says a minimum you need to double it... the minimums are generally bare bones versions with all extras turned off, but most people never run software at that level... better yet you will see some software says recommended levels... those tend to be closer to what you really need to avoid being left on the side waiting all the time.

OP
Gottcha9
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
called the Apple store and they will upgrade it for me at the same price ($!00) as if I ordered that way. So when I get back in town this weekend I will take it in.

Thanks to all who posted on this thread

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea, I'm glad to be back in the 4GB of DDR3 land. Your 2007 'book can't take ddr3 though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.