How long can you go without using a browser?

Reaction score
Had an occasion this morning to shutdown Chrome and I decided to not restart it until I needed it. That took all of 10 minutes when I needed to look something up on Wikipedia.

Are we all that reliant on the web anymore?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
No not really and not having a dig @ you, we as the human race, really are a lazy specie's.
If there is a Easier way to do things with less stress on ourselves, we will find it.

Where i live ATM there having a look @ getting rid of our beloved "Yellow Pages". It our version of a Telephone book with Primarily business Phone number adds, and that is due to, Them thinking that people use the internet that much and people look up the numbers in cyber space than the actual book.
I know i dont get the jitters like a addict would when i havnt got my thing (being online).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BlackBook 2 GHz 2GB RAM 120GB HDD
I know I am not depended on the web, as I could get the information I need to get, or send, without using the internet. Like TattooedMac said though, we always look for the easiest way out of a situation, so the internet seems to be just that! Why go look in a book when I don't HAVE to? I CAN. I don't depend on the internet. I certainly do use it more than a book, though. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If we were completely honest the answer is yes. Otherwise how would we see and respond to this thread? I rest my case Your Honour!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I didn't have internet for a few weeks and I honestly didn't know what else to do with my computer. I was just thinking, how did I ever use a computer before I had internet?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
i didn't have internet for a few weeks and i honestly didn't know what else to do with my computer. I was just thinking, how did i ever use a computer before i had internet?

G A M i n g

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I didn't have internet for a few weeks and I honestly didn't know what else to do with my computer. I was just thinking, how did I ever use a computer before I had internet?
I have to agree. Anytime I have issues with my connection, I find myself trying to figure out what to do with my computer. I don't game (much) and since the iTMS won't work, I can't rent movies. In that case, I get on with my life. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G A M i n g

Yea, my HTPC was still useful with the games and videos, but my Mac was essentially useless at home. It just sat there, unused. Poor thing...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have to agree. Anytime I have issues with my connection, I find myself trying to figure out what to do with my computer. I don't game (much) and since the iTMS won't work, I can't rent movies. In that case, I get on with my life. ;)

I know, right? I remember spending hours fooling around with my Commodore 64 and later, my Amigas before I had an Internet (or BBS) connection. Now I think back to what I did with the darned thing all that time.

C

chas_m

I can get along without a BROWSER for periods of time, but the internet as a whole? It's quite difficult. I work on the internet as well as play on it, so I'm interacting with it in some fashion for most of my waking hours, but I don't mind a break every so often.

If somebody told me my internet was going to be out for a week, I'd be very twitchy but could manage with my offline hobbies. Beyond that would be disastrous (financially and recreationally).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If somebody told me my internet was going to be out for a week, I'd be very twitchy but could manage with my offline hobbies.

Lol it is called 'withdrawal symptoms'!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If somebody told me my internet was going to be out for a week, I'd be very twitchy but could manage with my offline hobbies. Beyond that would be disastrous (financially and recreationally).

I was out for three weeks. Can you imagine how annoyed I was?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Name: MacBook Model Identifier: MacBook4,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor S
I could manage without the net, but I do feel like my right arm has been cut off :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
I couldn't imagine being without internet for 3 weeks. I do have my phone, but EDGE is as slow as molasses, and 3G is very unreliable with T-Mobile and sometimes isn't any faster than EDGE which would end up having my phone launched across the room waiting for Google to load. In that case, the phone would end up being broken and I can be considered deceased from that point.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

Haha, back in 2006 when I first moved into my place I had a dual 2GHz G5 tower, but Time Warner was backed up for installation of the internet. So, I was without for 2 weeks. It was amazingly unbearable to live with such a powerful machine and no internet.

I ended up recording and producing an album in 6 days, and then replaying the solo campaign of Myth 3.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Like others I've gotten used to using the internet and it has been incorporated into my life now so much so that it's as important as the phone. It's so much faster to search for things on the internet as opposed to the old fashion way and keeping in touch with friends long distance is much cheaper and easier.

It is also quickly becoming my entertainment choice too with websites such as Hulu, TV network website, and others. This allows me to watch my TV shows any time I want rather then on the network's schedule. There is also a lot of internet only content so I would miss out on those. For example, forums and other internet social networks is exclusively fitted for the internet because they wouldn't work as well with other technology.

Before the days of the internet, I only used my computer for mostly gaming and work. I still do but the internet actives are now taking up most of my time on the computer. For me the computer has become such a multi-use device that I don't know I lived without it before. The internet takes a lot of credit for that though because gaming and work only takes up a fraction of my computer usage time especially now that I don't game as much.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.