How durable/fragile is the Macbook Air?

Reaction score
First off, I'm new here, so hi everybody. :)

I've been considering a new macbook air, but I'm worried about how it might get damaged. As with all apple products, repairs are usually very expensive. So I was just wondering how durable this computer really is. Does it dent, scratch easily? What if I drop it? etc.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Reaction score
As a current gen. MacBook Air owner and a recent MacBook Pro owner I can tell you the the build is very similar.

I can also tell you that if you "drop" either, it is going to dent and scratch. Dropping a computer can be almost as bad as spilling water on it, as any one component on the inside can be broken or displaced causing trouble.

I will assume that the Air is a little more fragile when it comes to drops, because of its razor thin design, but I do not think it is any more or less susceptible to scratches (same design/finish).

That all being said, the Air is an overall durable machine. It feels good in my hand and does not feel overly fragile. Just try not to drop a computer (it is NEVER good to drop a laptop).

I would also recommend Apple care for a product like the Air, I personally think it is more useful with a product like the Air as opposed to the Pro. However, everyone has a different situation and opinion regarding the usefulness of applecare.

Hope that helps.

-bentharbour

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I would also recommend Apple care for a product like the Air, I personally think it is more useful with a product like the Air as opposed to the Pro. However, everyone has a different situation and opinion regarding the usefulness of applecare.

I agree with part of your statement..... I highly recommend Apple Care for any notebook computer. I realize that Apple Care can add substantially to the cost but it's well worth it if something goes wrong.

And there are legitimate sellers of discounted Apple Care. You don't have to buy from Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
My MB Air is a solid machine that has tumbled to the floor once without a problem. The finish on all of the MB's is very durable and you have to really try to get it to scratch. I sold one (an MBP) that I had hauled all over the country for a year, and once I had wiped it down with a screen cleaner cloth, except for some shinyness on the keys, it looked like it had just come out of the box.

Now, would the Air survive a four foot drop on edge to a concrete sidewalk? Probably not, but it is a fine instrument, not a 19 dollar GO phone. A good padded carrying case is your friend.

And believe me, compared to some of the plastickie, tinkertoy, el cheapo PC laptops that you can find all over the place, the Air is built like a battleship.

Reaction score
I have an 11" MBA and find it to be very durable sure you can scratch it if you are careless but I suppose that goes for all laptops.

As has been said dropping a laptop is never a good idea but I would have thought that the MBA would be more resistant to damage as it is significantly lighter than say a MBP and of course it dosent have a hard drive to damage!

Treat with care and get a padded case and youll love it!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.