How do you un-partition a drive?

Reaction score
I have looked around and I have found some guides explaining how to un-partition drives, but when I say remove the partition, it gets stuck on "preparing to remove partition".

I tried to install ubuntu but non of the partitions are boot able, so right now I am just trying to reset everything.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
are you trying to remove a partition but keep the rest of the disk intact?

or are you blowing the whole disk away to start fresh?

OP
crazychristian
Reaction score
I want to remove the partitions and "give" the memory back to the Main HD which I want to keep.

You see... I tried to install ubuntu...but I failed. So I tried again. And again it didn't work. And each time I installed it created 2 partitions. And I also tried using boot camp so that is another partition there. So i have a total of 5 partitions.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I want to remove the partitions and "give" the memory back to the Main HD which I want to keep.

You see... I tried to install ubuntu...but I failed. So I tried again. And again it didn't work. And each time I installed it created 2 partitions. And I also tried using boot camp so that is another partition there. So i have a total of 5 partitions.

You should be able to remove the unwanted partitions with Disk Utility. Then, resize your Macintosh HD partition to take up the remainder of the drive.

OP
crazychristian
Reaction score
I have tried removing the drives through disk utility a few times already, but it doesnt work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.