How do you record sound?

M

mac_noobie

Hello everyone, I have a question... Is there any program that came with the powerbooks (new lines) that records sound... I play the piano and I was wondering if I could get some of my music on the powerbook through its mic.

Thanks

OP
B

Badger

If you are going to record music you'll probably want better quality than the built-in mic. You might want to invest in Griffin Technology's iMic and a good external mic. As a bonus Griffin gives away a program called Final Vinyl which allows you to record and edit input from mics, turntables etc. You can check it out at: http://www.griffintechnology.com/support/imic/IMIC-MAC.html. Other than that check macupdate. com, versiontracker.com or pure-mac.com for freeware recording software.
Badger

OP
M

mac_noobie

alright, I have a better headset mic for my pc, but I am not sure if this powerbook has a mic in port. Otherwise I'm not doing anything professional, thankyou for your opinion though.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
If you have a newer PB, then you should already have Garageband. I absolutely love it, I use it to record my guitars and keys all the time...and best of all it is free as part of the iLife package. You should have no problem using your PB's mic, but you may still want to look into an external later on.

OP
M

mac_noobie

ok so I should be able to play the piano and have it record what I am playing through the mic?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
OP
T

TylerMoney

you might also look into getting a midi device for your ...well, I guess I don't knwo if you're using a piano, or a keyboard...if it's a keyboard or electric piano, you'll want to get a midi device, so it'll sound better when you record..and you can do more with it.

I'm waiting to buy a usb audio device: audio ins/outs, midi ins/outs, and mic in. This will allow me to record any vocals, piano/synth, guitar/bass that I want, and it'll sound way better than just recording through a mic.

OP
M

mac_noobie

yea I heard about those, I might consider getting one. But can anyone tell me how to record sound? Do I have to get a freeware program or something? And maybe if possible give me an idea where to look for those types of programs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Look at my post above and you'll find your answer :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.