How do u tell if u have dead pixels?

S

Subzero3886

I keep hearing these stories about how someone demanded their screen be replaced because of 2 or 3 dead pixels. Well when I get a Powerbook I don't want any of mine to be dead, 1) so say you have 2-3 dead pixels, will you be able to notice them? 2) Or are they only found through a software specifically designed to find them? 3) If so, let me kno of a cheap one please.

Thanks in advance

OP
M

meltbanana314

You'll be able to tell if you have a dead/dud pixel or not - there's no software that can find them. It's a visual thing.

Just look at your PowerBook's screen after you turn it on. If you see a pixel or two that is permanently stuck at that colour (usually black or white) then you have dead pixels. I think the rule for Apple is more than 5 dead pixels gets you a new replacement.

OP
E

Echo_

Jefe3223 said:
My dead one was permanantly green...like lime green. really funny.

must have been a cluster of pixels then because pixels are only red blue or green

OP
J

Jefe3223

well, i'm pretty sure it's only one...talking to the mac people (a long time ago when it first happened and i was young) that was their diagnosis. I think it's gone...maybe not...it's only like the size of a pin point.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I had one that was green, but I got a strong paper towel, soaked it in warm water, ringed it out real good and rubbed the pixel with it and it fixed it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook 17" 1.5GHz, 2GB, 160GB Momentus; iMac 24" 3.06GHz, 2GB; iPhone 2.5G 8GB; iPod 5G 60GB
Why would you be worried about dead pixels if you couldn't see them?

I should warn you about getting a new PowerBook with an atrofied pilfer grommet. This is a common problem. You can't see it, it doesn't affect the laptop in any way, but you can detect it using 100,000 lines of code (which you can buy off the Internet for $300).

Make sure you don't buy a PowerBook with an atrofied pilfer grommet. If you find your PowerBook has an atrofied pilfer grommet, demand Apple replace it free of charge.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook 17" 1.5GHz, 2GB, 160GB Momentus; iMac 24" 3.06GHz, 2GB; iPhone 2.5G 8GB; iPod 5G 60GB
Why would you be worried about dead pixels if you couldn't see them?

I should warn you about getting a new PowerBook with an atrofied pilfer grommet. This is a common problem. You can't see it, it doesn't affect the laptop in any way, but you can detect it using 100,000 lines of code (which you can buy off the Internet for $300).

Make sure you don't buy a PowerBook with an atrofied pilfer grommet. If you find your PowerBook has an atrofied pilfer grommet, demand Apple replace it free of charge.

:eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum PowerBook G4. 15.2" SUPAH-drive
if it doesn't affect the laptop in any way, than why tamper with it. let alone buy a $300 program for it.

OP
M

MichaelSullivan

First off, you can see dead pixels. I don't know who's saying you can't... but I'm staring right at one this moment (albeit, its on my sony vaio). Secondly, some people are more bothered by this than others. Finally, a small number of dead pixels may be considered acceptible by the manufacturer (helps keep the price of these LCDs in check).

Apples (vague) policy: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=22194

CNet on this subject: http://www.cnet.com.au/mobilecomputing/0,39028703,40004163,00.htm

OP
J

jn4jenny

OR you could just avoid Dead Pixel Paranoia by going to the Apple Store and before they charge your credit card, INSIST that the EXACT Powerbook that they intend to give you be brought out from the back room and plugged in at the service desk. If you have to, speak to the manager to make this happen. If you make it clear that you intend to purchase that day if nothing is wrong with it, they should be willing to do this.

Use the Display feature and TextEdit to compare the screen in a mostly blue and mostly white background. If there's a dead pixel, you will see it. I definitely saw one when I did this, and I told them to march that piece of trash right back to the back room and bring me another. This avoided the little Apple trick of selling you a PB with a dead pixel and then saying it's not a real mechanical problem. If the pixel goes out in the first thirty days, try bringing it back and get the manager again. If you are super-nice, they might let you exchange it as your "one free exchange in the first thirty days due to mechanical problems"--even though Apple says dead pixels aren't really a mechanical problem, some store managers just want you out of their hair.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.