How do I upgrade to 10.3.8?

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FSTP

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and new to macs. I have a g4 and I'd like to go to 10.3.8, from 10.2.8. I'd need the .3.8 to run this program I'd like to run. Go easy on my I've had this mac only a few days and I've used windows all my life. This is the first time I've even touched a mac.

Thank you.

OP
F

FSTP

alright, thanks.

I don't understand. Is this a completly new OS? or is it an "update"? and if I got this now and the .4 comes out, I'd have to buy that? (that is if I didn't wait).

OP
I

iDVFH.

You can get the 10.3.8 version for free..go to the Apple symbol in the top left corner of your menu bar and click on software update..it'll give you a whole list of updates you need..(i.e. bluetooth update, security updates etc.) and some you dont (like iSight updates unless you have it of course) the 10.3.8 version is on the list of updates (or should be) its about 110 MB...

OP
M

meltbanana314

10.0 was the first incarnation of OS X. 10.3 and 10.4 are updates of OS X as a whole, however - with every incremental upgrade, tons and tons of new features are added. In this way, they seem more like new operating systems rather than updates. Unlike Windows, which just seems to add more security problems with each 'update.'

If you got 10.3 and 10.4 came out a week later, you'd have to buy 10.4 too.

EDIT: DV, he's on 10.2.8 - he has to buy Panther for his application to work. Apple wouldn't give away $129 worth of updates for free!

OP
I

iDVFH.

Oh my bad..I thought he said he had 10.3.7 lol CORRECTIONN

OP
F

FSTP

Thank you for the help.

I clicked the apple icon and I don't see something that says software update. I see one that says get mac os x software, is it that?

I probly should have mentioned that before I found this website (which is proving vastly helpful) I went to the apple.com. I DL'ed "MacOSXUpdateCombo 10.3.8.dmg" I then clicked it and everything. Then it says I need 10.3 or higher for that to work.
Sry, for these, I'm sure, pathetic questions. But I have no idea what I'm doing :-/

OP
M

meltbanana314

Go to the Apple Menu, then to System Preferences. Choose Software Update, and get any updates you may need.

"Get Mac OS X Software" leads you to a part of Apple's website that hosts freeware/shareware apps for OS X, most of which require 10.3 to work. =)

And you don't need to get that particular combo update because, well - you're not running 10.3 yet. You need to pay the $129 for 10.3 (aka "Panther") or just wait until OS X 10.4 aka "Tiger" is released sometime between now and June, and grab that for $129.

OP
F

FSTP

hmm ok, So well. Hmm I don't know what to do, this computer was given to me and to install the updates (thank you,meltbanana314) but in order to install them its asking for a passphrase. I feel like an idiot.... is there some way to restore everything to I just make my own or something? I know there are ways to do that with xp are there apple ways too?

Am I asking all these questions in the right place?

OP
M

meltbanana314

To the best of my knowledge, you'll need the original CDs that came with the system to wipe it clean and reinstall OS X.

OP
F

FSTP

so theres no way to wipe all exsisting "passphrases" and start over. Right not theres nothing really on the HD's. I'm not even sure if this computer is good.

OP
K

Kokopelli

First off you are not stupid, you are learning. There is a world of difference.

Second this is a fine place to ask. Relax, most of us don't bite. :)

Now you have a G4 with 10.2.8 and you want to upgrade to 10.3.8. The only way to do this legally is to buy 10.3 and upgrade you installation from CD or DVD. You can not do this through update. Think of going from 10.2 to 10.3 like going from Win ME to Win 2000. It is the next major revision, not an update. Apple uses the 10.x scheme for branding purposes.

If you can hold on for a month I would wait for 10.4 though. If you are going to need to spend money to upgrade you might as well get the newest release.

Finally the password will be the password to the "Admin" account, which is probably the account you are in right now. If you do not know the password and can not get it then a fresh install is the only option I am aware of unless OS X has some equivalent to Single User Mode.

OP
F

FSTP

ahh ok so, I'll talk to the guy that gave me this comp. And see if he has it. Do you think I need to upgrade this computer any to run the .3 or .4? I am not very familiar with what is considered "good" harware on a mac.

OP
M

meltbanana314

Any Mac should have at least 512MB of RAM. If you go up to the Apple Menu and hit "About this Mac" it will tell you what amount of RAM you have. If you don't have at least 512MB, get more.

That should run 10.3 and 10.4 fine.

Also, sorry to be pedantic here, but calling them .3 and .4 isn't really correct. Most people here will either use the numbering scheme with the 10 prefix, or call them by the codenames:

10.0.x = Cheetah
10.1.x = Puma
10.2.x = Jaguar
10.3.x = Panther
10.4.x = Tiger

OP
K

Kokopelli

If it runs 10.2 reasonably well it will run 10.3 and 10.4 better. Each release of OS X has gotten faster on existing hardware. I did a quick scan of the thread and did not see any post as to what the machine is precisely.

General advice. Have at least 512 MB of RAM, no less.... Ok, that is about it for advice. HD space should not be a problem till you start filling it up and a CPU upgrade is not practical (if possible at all) till you know whether you like the platform.

Since it is an older Mac it might not be able to use all the wizz bang visual effects the newer Macs can do but that impacts the functionality of the Mac little.

EDIT: Tiger is the only codename I can keep straight, all the rest blend into a melange so I use 10.2, 10.3, etc... Or look the appropriate codename up on the web before posting. ;)

OP
F

FSTP

Alright didn't know about the calling of them I'll use the 10 from now on. ;-)

its got 640mb
and three HDs, one 35, two 71's and a lacie d2, the machine speed is 733 and bus of 133. I think those are its stats. So I think that should run the 10.3.8 and 10.4 alright then, according to you guys. Thank you, :)

OP
K

Kokopelli

Oh yeah, a 733 G4 can handle 10.3 or 10.4 without a problem. It won't be blazing, it will be faster than 10.2 is on it presently, of that I have little doubt.

Just to satisfy my curiousity. If you don't mind telling us, what program do you want to run?

OP
F

FSTP

oh I don't mind its nothing crazy. I want to install world or warcraft online. I tried to install it earlier today and it said I need the newer version.

OP
K

Kokopelli

Now that I am not too sure will run well on a 733. The game lists a 933MHz processor as the minimum, which means in reality you probably need a 1.33 GHz to handle it well.

I don't want to discourage you but want to make sure you go into this with your eyes open.

OP
F

FSTP

yea I realize that, I read that on the box as well, but I was hoping that it could still limp along running it. hmm we'll see. I'll probly end up buying that 10.3.8 or something tomorrow and then just hold on the 10.4 for awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.