How do I set up messages on Yosemite..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 inch, 2020
to send and receive from non-iphones?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
You should just be able to open Messages, and then from a new message, select the contact (who has a non-apple phone) and send them a message. You need to make sure that you iPhone is up to date with iOS 8 though, to be able to send it. The iPhone needs to be within range of the Mac computer as well.

You don't need to do anything special, apart from opening it. Im not sure if its available in the Public Beta versions, but the Dev GM Candidate 2 it is.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You should just be able to open Messages, and then from a new message, select the contact (who has a non-apple phone) and send them a message. You need to make sure that you iPhone is up to date with iOS 8 though, to be able to send it. The iPhone needs to be within range of the Mac computer as well.

You don't need to do anything special, apart from opening it. Im not sure if its available in the Public Beta versions, but the Dev GM Candidate 2 it is.

I'm on ios8 and full yosemite, but it won't let me sed to my friend with a droid. weird

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do I have to be on 8.1? I don't see the text message forwarding option in my settings, on phone. Both the phone and mac are on same wifi

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess my mac is too old, my bluetooth is 4 and i think i need at least 6. any way to upgrade?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
These are the requirements set out by Apple,

Requirements

1. Apple says that your iPhone, iPad and Mac will need to be on the same Wi-Fi network for these Continuity features to work.
2. You’ll also need to be signed in from the same iCloud ID on all these devices, which makes sense as you don’t want someone else’s iPad ringing if you get a call.
3.We’re not sure if these Continuity features require Bluetooth 4.0 LE support, as Apple doesn’t explicitly mention it anywhere on its website.

and thats really it. it shouldn't matter what hardware, but I think BT 4.0 would be a factor in it.

EDIT : From their site http://www.apple.com/au/osx/continuity/ iOS 8.1 is needed.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Requirements

1. Apple says that your iPhone, iPad and Mac will need to be on the same Wi-Fi network for these Continuity features to work.
2. You’ll also need to be signed in from the same iCloud ID on all these devices, which makes sense as you don’t want someone else’s iPad ringing if you get a call.
3.We’re not sure if these Continuity features require Bluetooth 4.0 LE support, as Apple doesn’t explicitly mention it anywhere on its website.

and thats really it. it shouldn't matter what hardware, but I think BT 4.0 would be a factor in it.

EDIT : From their site Apple - OS X Yosemite - Mac + iOS Continuity iOS 8.1 is needed.

I actually just got off the phone with apple and the guy said that I need the LE bluetooth, so I'm hoping I can find the right piece to upgrade - I've seen other people upgrade their macs.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Requirements

EDIT : From their site Apple - OS X Yosemite - Mac + iOS Continuity iOS 8.1 is needed.

you're right 8.1 is also needed. Thanks

C

chas_m

I now have 8.2 and can't get SMS on my mac after upgrading to Yosemite. Any suggestions? I can make calls. So that feature has worked.

You have a version of iOS that doesn't exist and you're having issues? Who would have guessed?

PS. Calling and messages Continuity work fine here. Yosemite on a 2012 MacBook Pro and iOS 8.0.2 on the iPhone 5s.

Reaction score
Well I missed the zero off as everyone had when referencing 8.0.1 for continuity. But ah well it's hardly life or death if it never works. Just annoying

C

chas_m

Yes, this is a good example of how precision is so important to avoiding confusion in text-based forums like this one. When iOS 8.1 arrives on Monday, we can test things like SMS messaging from our Macs and Instant Hotspot and see if they work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.