How do I set up auto capitalization fixes in Mail?

Reaction score
I'm always finding that when I'm finishing up emails, I'll end with:

"Thanks," but type too fast and end up with "THanks,"

Is there a way to set up specific words like that which will autocorrect the capitalization always to the right way, without leaving the first 2 letters in caps?

THanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I'm always finding that when I'm finishing up emails, I'll end with:

"Thanks," but type too fast and end up with "THanks,"

Is there a way to set up specific words like that which will autocorrect the capitalization always to the right way, without leaving the first 2 letters in caps?

THanks in advance!

Seems like you did it again (in bold above) - LOL! :)

But for that one issue see image below - go into System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Text; substitute corrections can be added there - when typed incorrectly, you'll then be offered the correct spelling, tap the spacebar, and the correct word will be entered.

Now if you want a more 'global' fix (assuming that this occurs for many words you type - don't know?); not sure if there is an easy solution w/o writing some type of Apple Script or using Automator - hopefully others will 'chime in' w/ some more help. Dave

Screen Shot 2015-03-25 at 3.22.30 PM.png

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks for that. It hadn't occurred to me to use shortcuts for them. Believe it or not, the one time I actually MEANT to do the double capitalization was on my post here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for that. It hadn't occurred to me to use shortcuts for them. Believe it or not, the one time I actually MEANT to do the double capitalization was on my post here.

No problem - that is what I thought - ;) Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
If you find yourself doing the double caps with other words, you can do the correction in Mail using right-click -> Transformations -> Capatilize, but it may be just as quick or quicker to make the corrections manually. ;)

OP
E
Reaction score
I used Dave's suggestion and it worked, but the problem is it doesn't recognize caps, so when I'm in the middle of an email and writing "thanks" with no caps, it then replaces it for me with a capital T. Any other ideas on how to fix this with it paying attention to caps?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I used Dave's suggestion and it worked, but the problem is it doesn't recognize caps, so when I'm in the middle of an email and writing "thanks" with no caps, it then replaces it for me with a capital T. Any other ideas on how to fix this with it paying attention to caps?

Yep, Apple's 'autocorrection' can be a pain - frustrates me daily - usually a little box should pop up w/ a suggested spelling and a small x can be selected to NOT accept the correction - yes, an additional step. You could try turning off 'autocorrection' (see where in my previous screen shot), but then not sure if that is what you want? Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Well, I guess one could try using a different faster keyboard and the Matias ones come to mind, of maybe try your Mac's dictation rather than typing. But you might want to change the typing shortcuts back first.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Wish there was a "customized common typo corrector"! I frequently type "th e" when my right thumb gets ahead of my left middle finger. I also commonly add an e to the word attachement. I can't explain that one at all!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.