How do I rotate photos?

Reaction score
The iPad lets me 'lean' a photo about 40 degrees but I can't rotate them. Anybody know if there's a way to actually rotate a photo on the iPad photo app?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Yes, you touch the image you want to rotate, so it is the foremost image, then touch 'Edit' and now look down the bottom for the 'Crop' Icon. It looks like 2 right angels intersecting each other,
HeXZ7vK.png
(This is from a App on my Mac, so won't look exactly the same) and once in that Edit screen, there will be a icon, that is a Box with a curved Arrow going from right to left. Touch that and it will rotate, Anti-Clockwise, until you have it in the position you want.

HTH

OP
M
Reaction score
Yes, I do that but it just lets me rotate enough for the photo to 'lean' in one direction or the other, like about 40 degrees. It won't let me actually rotate a photo. How do I do that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
The iPad lets me 'lean' a photo about 40 degrees but I can't rotate them. Anybody know if there's a way to actually rotate a photo on the iPad photo app?

Well, you can fuss around w/ the iPad's native photo app which is slowly getting better but is still irritating to use; OR, obtain another app to manipulate your images - I have a good handful but have been using Snapseed since 2011 - easy to crop, rotate, and do many other photo adjustments - give it a try! Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Actually, Photo's is quite a stable and feature rich DAM for your iPad, but it seems something is very amiss if you can rotate a image from within the App.
I have added a image, because if its only skewing 40º, it could well be you are using the 'Straighten' feature, and not the Rotate. If you are using the rotate, then I say there is something very wrong with your Photos App.
See below and the Rotate Icon . .

LTuPOtR.jpg

When you are posting a issue, its best to explain yourself a lot more, and let us know what you have & haven't tried, so if like you say, you are using the Rotate icon, then it saves me, mentioning it, then you coming back saying you have. . . . If the Rotate is the Actual problem (does it do this on every image ??) then I suggest to restart your iPad and see if that brings it not line.

Im a little disappointed that  have gotten rid of iPhoto for iOS, because I absolutely loved that App, and I use to do my editing in that.
For a more comprehensive App to use, have a look at Pixelmatr for iOS, because it is really as powerful as its Mac equivalent, and works very well. . . But I still like what Photos has to offer, and its only downfall, is Filters, which it lacks. You can fine tune, every aspect of the image, from Highlights to Shadows in Photos.

OP
M
Reaction score
First of all, I have no Rotate Icon and the word Rotate appears nowhere. The only option I have is to choose a photo, choose Edit, then choose one of 4 options, one of which is the Crop Icon, which has the "tilt" feature. It actually will tilt the photo up to 45 degrees only...I can see the number 70 but cannot get there. The links given me above don't apply because what they're describing doesn't look like my Apple Photo app. Seriously, I just have no option to Rotate the photos.

I hate to have to use once again another app because Apple's apps are inadequate. And the Cloud is syncing all my photos. I just can't see having to jump thru a lot of technical hoops just to rotate a photo, which should be a very basic feature in the Apple app.

I'm very disappointed in my new iPad. The touch features don't work much of the time, making the work I do on it a daily frustration. How I feel now is how I used to feel every day for about 15 years using those 'other' brand computers. Now I'm tempted to go back to one of their tablets to see if it doesn't actually work better than the new Apple stuff. I apologize, my attitude stinks, but this has been going on since I got this iPad in December, and it can't hold a candle to how my old iPad 2 performed.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Which version of the IOS software is on your iPad? If I can figure out which version of the software you have I can figure out the right set of directions.

OP
M
Reaction score
I need to ask an off-topic question. I can't find any way to change my password here. I've gone to my profile and CP user and see nowhere to do that. 'It' told me to come back "here" to change my password but when I did that it made me sign in again and then didn't take me to where I could change my password. Can someone tell me, because this forum makes me sign in every single time I come back to see if there's been a new post to my question, and then I have to repeat the whole ordeal, go to my email to fetch the awful password it gave me, and sign in again. Please help me, and if there's a way to stay signed in, I'd really appreciate that too. Why does all this have to be so hard. (My husband just dumpted his medical software and my daughter her Hospice software because it was at least 4 times as time-consuming as pen and paper charting on patients. I can fully understand. Technology sucks and pardon my bad language)

OP
M
Reaction score
I downloaded the last one just a couple of weeks ago and it said 8.3.1 or 8.1.3...I don't know now because Apple must have sneaked in and changed it back to 8.2 and now it's got (12D508) sitting next to the 8.2, something I've never seen before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I hate to have to use once again another app because Apple's apps are inadequate. And the Cloud is syncing all my photos. I just can't see having to jump thru a lot of technical hoops just to rotate a photo, which should be a very basic feature in the Apple app.

I'm very disappointed in my new iPad. The touch features don't work much of the time, making the work I do on it a daily frustration. How I feel now is how I used to feel every day for about 15 years using those 'other' brand computers. Now I'm tempted to go back to one of their tablets to see if it doesn't actually work better than the new Apple stuff. I apologize, my attitude stinks, but this has been going on since I got this iPad in December, and it can't hold a candle to how my old iPad 2 performed.[/QUOTE]

Well, I've been on iPads since early 2011 w/ an iPad 2 initially, now on an iPad Air @ - your statement at the bottom quote in bold is just silly - the newest iPads offer all and a lot more and faster features than an old heavy iPad 2 - and I'm not sure which iPad you currently own nor which iOS is installed?

Relative to the first statement in bold above, many of us have used non-Apple apps on our devices for a variety of reasons, so this is simply a part of using these devices - the app that I suggested is either free currently or at minimal cost and will easily solve your frustrations; and once you have learned to use it the amount of time spent is basically seconds rather than minutes - the changed images are saved back to the Photo app and will sync w/ your cloud-based services.

Bottom line - you're really over-reactiving to this situation - just learn to adjust or switch to another company. Dave :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's how to change the password and other settings:
1. From the top of a page click on the User CP link.
2. When the next page loads look to the left side of the page for the words "Edit Your Details".
3. When the next page loads there will be a button which says "Edit Email and Password"

From there you should be able to enter a new password.

Which browser are you using? It is possible to stay logged into the firm and have it "remember" the password.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moderator Slydude gave you the correct directions for changing your password. As he also mentioned, your browser can save your username and password to enter automatically when you bring up our forums. You have also been given several suggestions by some of our most knowledgeable forum members. Try out what they suggested and have some patience. ;D

OP
M
Reaction score
Dave, I don't think you understood my post. My old iPad 2 will highlight words/sentences/paragraphs when I'm online so I can copy/paste. It also didn't double-type the first letter of every line I type. It also did not give me a magnifying glass 'instead of' highlighting words. Also, in apple's Notes, it didn't take me to the very end of every note after I opened one so I'd have to scroll all the way to the top of each note to get to where I wanted to be. I won't bore you with all the other true glitches I have with my new iPad Air 2. All I know is the old one did not reduce me to tears almost every day.

Also, I use plenty of 3rd party apps. I just don't like to have to duplicate all of apple's apps because they're not adequate and can't do basic functions like rotating pictures. (Have you seen what they've done with the Calendar lately...the vertical scroll only? Awful, just awful. I did break down and get the CalendarSkin app which is so much better and lets me see one month at a time, that sort of thing....

To say that this new iPad can't hold a candle to my old iPad 2 is simply the truth. Deal with it Dave. I love truth and you can learn to also.

I appreciate the help I get but I don't like folks telling me that my iPad is working perfectly when it oh so clearly it is not. And for the money I put out for it, it's a double shame. Something awful happened when Tim Cook took over....let him explain what. All I know is I feel the pain.

OP
M
Reaction score
Slydude, thank you for your help! :)

Edit: I'm using Safari (but sometimes use Mercury when Safari is not working right).

OP
M
Reaction score
chscag...not sure what you're referring to. I just got the directions and you need to give me time to read and apply them. Cool down. All is good. :)

OP
M
Reaction score
Slydude...just changed my password. That's one headache gone. Now I hope next time I log in Safari will ask me if I want it to remember it. Anyhow, thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I appreciate the help I get but I don't like folks telling me that my iPad is working perfectly when it oh so clearly it is not. And for the money I put out for it, it's a double shame. Something awful happened when Tim Cook took over....let him explain what. All I know is I feel the pain.

No need to be snarky. If you go back to the post I made with the image in it, showing you where the 'rotate' icon should be, I said, if that isn't there, then you have a major problem with the iPad.
That rotate icon SHOULD be there, and if it isn't, and you are having "other" issues with Touch, then return it too Apple and get them to look at it, OR get a new one.
If you have bought it within the last 90 days, then you will have Phone support, so ring them up, they will do a diagnostic check over the phone, and they will advise the best action too take.

Apple sell millions upon millions of iPad's a year, and there is bound to be a issue with one or 2 of them, so be proactive and call them, so they can set you up with a working iPad.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad to help.

Give this video a quick look. I think it has the same version of the photo program in the video as on your iPad. The description of rotating photos starts about 40 seconds in (after the description of straightening).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.