How do I reformat my machine?

Reaction score
I was told that deleting everything on my machine and then using Time Machine to restore it will speed the computer up considerably. Is this true?

If so, how do I do this? My laptop is painfully slow and it's killing me.

thanks...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook White 2.2 Ghz Santa Rosa
first back up all of your data's ...and don't backup your data using time machine for a moment until your mac is very clean....you can back up your data manually , one by one using external hard drive....after you've finish back up all your data into ext hard disk , you should re install the mac os x do you have.....after the installations finish....you should do repair disk permission to make sure your mac is clearly installed.....and then restart you mac....after installations clear . you can restore your data using external hard disk....

i hope this will help your problem.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Dual 2.5 | 6 GB OCZ Platinum | RME HDSP9652
If you use reformat and restore a Time Machine backup then you'll end up with exactly the same thing you have now, with the same issues. That's the whole point of it.

In order to clean out all the junk in your installation that may be causing problems and slow-downs, you'll need to either go in manually and clean things up (very difficult unless you know what you're doing), or use the sure-fire method of completely reinstalling the OS (recommended).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.