• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

How do I play and burn these .nrg video files on mac

S

skullion

I downloaded a movie with 3 files in .rar form. I dropped them in UNRARX and each file came out differently. The first file came out as .nrg which cannot be played, the second came out as .mpg, the third an .mpeg.The mpg and the mpeg can be converted to .mov and burned to DVD in toast. I cant do anything with the .nrg file. I tried to use vcdgearX but I cant get that program to work at all.I burned it to a data cd but I cant extract the mpeg or play it anyway. How do I get the mpeg out of the nrg so I can convert it to a .mov.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
why do you want to make it a .mov? mpg's can be burned in toast in the video tab, do you have quicktime pro?

OP
S

skullion

Macman said:
why do you want to make it a .mov? mpg's can be burned in toast in the video tab, do you have quicktime pro?

I understand but the problem is I cant do anything with the first file. The .nrg file is a mystery to me.No program on my computer will do anything with it.I need to somehow get the .nrg file to mpeg form so I can burn a dvd in toast. Please list steps to convert the .nrg file.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've never heard of that filetype, I doubt its the correct extension or a real video file, as a matter of fact, if I remember correctly, thats a file format used as part of a dvd menu in certain menus, do either of the other mpg's have menus?

OP
S

skullion

Macman said:
I've never heard of that filetype, I doubt its the correct extension or a real video file, as a matter of fact, if I remember correctly, thats a file format used as part of a dvd menu in certain menus, do either of the other mpg's have menus?

OK so this is probably a mixture of mpeg and menu information which I now have burned to a cd with the files broken up. Im new at this so I dont know how to import the info back onto the computer.When I try to drag the mpeg type file (or anything on the disc) it wont copy it correctly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
you should be able to insert the disc, and double click it on the desktop and drag the contents to the hd. How is it not copying right? if its not working, use disk utility to create a disc image which will put the data in a mountable disk image on your mac, mount it and copy it from that.

OP
S

skullion

Macman said:
you should be able to insert the disc, and double click it on the desktop and drag the contents to the hd. How is it not copying right? if its not working, use disk utility to create a disc image which will put the data in a mountable disk image on your mac, mount it and copy it from that.[/QUOTE
It says error code -36 and it cant be read or written when I try to copy the mpg. Dam it almost worked.All the svcd data and every thing else worked.Just no mpg.Also it says input /output error when I click on the .mpg file on the disc itself but one of the other mpg files(part 2 of this movie) had a similar problem until I converted it to .mov with ffmpeg.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hmm, try copying it to an external device instead of your internal hd. this may also be a problem with the disc, or drive, make sure everything is clean and the disc isn't scratched up.

OP
S

skullion

Macman said:
hmm, try copying it to an external device instead of your internal hd. this may also be a problem with the disc, or drive, make sure everything is clean and the disc isn't scratched up.

Thanks for the info. Im gonna download this again to see if the file got messed up somehow. I had the .rar files for a while and was constantly messing with it before I knew what to do with them and although they seemed to be in order with nothing missing I may have screwed them up somehow.Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0 Ghz, 2 gigs RAM, 160 gig H.D.
I think a .nrg file is a Nero video file type. I wonder if you'd have to convert it on a PC ( since no Nero for Mac) to make it into a file type usable on your Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
guys, you cant convert it.

.nrg is the file extension for NERO BURNING ROM ...winblows strikes again!

IIRC, it cant be converted, only burned? im not too sure.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.