How do I lock my MacBook?

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I will be grateful if someone can help me in answering my question. I am looking for the way to lock my MacBook(OS X 10.5). Something similar to (Ctrl+Alt+Del or Windows + L) on Windows OS. Sleep is not a good option as it doesn't continue with the processes running currently(Say iTunes) and stops them. Even the password enabled screen Saver is not an option as I will have set it to less than 1 minute. Is there anyone who knows about it?

Thanks,
Sambit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
Sambit,

Hey, there's two ways to go about this that are already built in.

1) In your Desktop & Screensaver preferences, under the Screensaver tab, select the "Hot Corners" button near the bottom left of the window. Just make one of your corners "Start Screensaver". This is the method that I tend to use.

2) Spotlight "Keychain Access" and open the application that it finds. Open Keychain Access's preferences and select "Show status in menu bar." A lock appears in your menu bar. From now on, you can select that lock and click on "Lock Screen" which does exactly what option one does.

Hope that it helped, good luck.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks Walmartconnect. The 2nd option which you mentioned is the one which I was looking for. Is there any keyboard shortcut for that?

Thanks,
Sambit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
Not that I know of. However, the second option literally does exactly what the first one does. "Lock screen" simply engages the screensaver and locks it with a password. If you set the screensaver to be password protected, simply activating the screensaver locks the computer.

Reaction score
Keyboard shortcut

the keyboard shortcut to put your computer to sleep is option + Command + eject

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Similar to above suggestions, using hot corner option as "put display to sleep".

*System preferences>desktop and screensavers>screensaver>hotcorners and select hot corner to put display to sleep.
*System preferences>security>click lock and verify password>require password after sleep or screen saver begins.

Even though the display is asleep, you cannot do anything without waking up the display with a password, and all running processes will continue.
If iTunes is playing, you can still change songs, volume, etc in this mode.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.