How do I keep the tabs open when I close Safari

Reaction score
Is there a way to keep the tabs I use most often from disappearing when I close Safari?

I don't mean the toolbar...I have them in there...I am referring to the line that has the + at the end.

THANK YOU.

Elizabeth

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
A couple of steps required the way I do it, because I don't want my minimized apps on the right side of the Dock.

1. Open up System Preferences - Dock - put a check next to 'Minimize windows into application icon'

Now you'll use the minimize (yellow) button (or double click on the top bar of the window) instead of using the close (red) button.

This method will maintain the tabs you currently have open the next time you open Safari (except after a reboot).

2. Create a new Bookmark folder, maybe called Homepage. Inside that folder put a shortcut to all the tabs you want every time you open Safari. Put the folder on your Bookmarks bar. Now when you open Safari, you can click on the Folder in the bar and select 'Open in tabs'.

This method effectively gives you a single shortcut to opening multiple Home Pages.

OP
silvermac4108
Reaction score
A couple of steps required the way I do it, because I don't want my minimized apps on the right side of the Dock.

1. Open up System Preferences - Dock - put a check next to 'Minimize windows into application icon'

Now you'll use the minimize (yellow) button (or double click on the top bar of the window) instead of using the close (red) button.

This method will maintain the tabs you currently have open the next time you open Safari (except after a reboot).

2. Create a new Bookmark folder, maybe called Homepage. Inside that folder put a shortcut to all the tabs you want every time you open Safari. Put the folder on your Bookmarks bar. Now when you open Safari, you can click on the Folder in the bar and select 'Open in tabs'.

This method effectively gives you a single shortcut to opening multiple Home Pages.

THANKS for the quick reply....will give a try. THANKS.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I have an Automator workflow that does something similar. Each time I run the workflow several web pages, including this forum's new posts page, are opened in a series of tabs. My solution is part of a larger workflow that also launches Mail, iChat and Skype.

If you would like to try it here's the part needed to open web pages.

1. Launch Safari and make sure that it is set yo open new pages in tabs. Sounds like you already have this in place.
2. Download and install this Automator action.
3. Launch Automator. Under Snow Leopard you will be asked what you want to build. Mine is an application but I think it would also work as a Service.
4. Find the following actions and drop them into the right side of Automator's Window
a. Get Specified URLs - Enter the names and URLs for the sites you want to open.
b. Find the "Display Webpages" action. Look carefully at the description in the lower portion of the window. If it says it open the pages in tabs use this action. If it does not say this use the "Display Webpages in Tabs" action that you installed.

Make sure Safari is closed then click Automator's Play button to test the workflow. Ignore the warning message. If the workflow functions as expected save the workflow in a convenient place.

I run the workflow from an alias. I also keep a version of this thing saved as a workflow. That way if I need to add/change urls I load the workflow version, change the urls and save with the same name as the existing application.

OP
silvermac4108
Reaction score
I have an Automator workflow that does something similar. Each time I run the workflow several web pages, including this forum's new posts page, are opened in a series of tabs. My solution is part of a larger workflow that also launches Mail, iChat and Skype.

If you would like to try it here's the part needed to open web pages.

1. Launch Safari and make sure that it is set yo open new pages in tabs. Sounds like you already have this in place.
2. Download and install this Automator action.
3. Launch Automator. Under Snow Leopard you will be asked what you want to build. Mine is an application but I think it would also work as a Service.
4. Find the following actions and drop them into the right side of Automator's Window
a. Get Specified URLs - Enter the names and URLs for the sites you want to open.
b. Find the "Display Webpages" action. Look carefully at the description in the lower portion of the window. If it says it open the pages in tabs use this action. If it does not say this use the "Display Webpages in Tabs" action that you installed.

Make sure Safari is closed then click Automator's Play button to test the workflow. Ignore the warning message. If the workflow functions as expected save the workflow in a convenient place.

I run the workflow from an alias. I also keep a version of this thing saved as a workflow. That way if I need to add/change urls I load the workflow version, change the urls and save with the same name as the existing application.

That is exactly what I want to happen...I am using Firefox and it keeps my tabs no matter whether I close the browser or restart.

Is this complicated? I am a new user. :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Not complicated at all. Automator is pretty much drag and drop. You might find the following article helpful. It goes through the basics of Automator. ATPM 12.07 - How To: Maybe You Ought To Be Using Automator. That was written for an earlier version of Automator but the basics haven't changed much. The biggest difference is you will be asked what you want to create. I suggest choosing an application first.

If you have any trouble let me know.

OP
silvermac4108
Reaction score
not complicated at all. Automator is pretty much drag and drop. You might find the following article helpful. It goes through the basics of automator. atpm 12.07 - how to: Maybe you ought to be using automator. That was written for an earlier version of automator but the basics haven't changed much. The biggest difference is you will be asked what you want to create. I suggest choosing an application first.

If you have any trouble let me know.

thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
Install Glims for Safari. It'll add a feature that lets Safari save what pages you're looking at when you quit and it will re-open them for you when next you run the browser.

It doesn't cost money!

Glims for Safari | www.MacHangout.com

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.