How do I extract audio from a movie I created?

Reaction score
Help! I created a couple of movies using my wife's ipad to capture the vocals with and without harmonies on a song I play with some friends. The videos themselves are black since the ipad was in a case. They came out around 220MB and 400MB and are too large to send via email and upload to FB message.

I tried compressing them but the file size of the compressed is same as the originals. (WTH!)

I've imported them to iMovie on my Mac Book Pro but have no idea if I can or how to extract just the audio, which is all I want anyways.

Any way to extract just the audio component of a movie using iMovie? I am assuming once I do the files will be much smaller... they are only 3 minutes in length.

Do I need some other app to do this? I need to send them out as we're to play them next thursday and the guys need to practice.

I really do not want to upload to youtube... there is no video to speak of.

Craftydad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Can I assume you have the video in imovie and in the timeline? If not import your video and double click it to move it to the timeline - the lower large pane. If you want to just export the audio - on the right upper menu bar is an icon labeled "share". Click on it. In the drop down box select "file." In the next box click on "format" and change it to "Audio Only." Select your file format - aac, mp3, aiff,or wav. Click next and name the file and where you want it to be saved.

Hope this helps!

Lisa

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Nice tip sometimes I forget you can do this in iMovie. I usually use MPEG Streamclip.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Excellent!

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
You can also do this with Quicktime, File Menu>Export>Audio Only.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.