How do I change a TimeCaps connection from wifi to ethernet?

Reaction score
I've been using a TimeCapsule for several years now and it has always been wifi connected.

The OS X Yosemite introduced some issues when trying to restore backed up data; Apple recommends when Time Machine is slow: "If your backup disk is a Time Capsule, leave your Mac in the same room as the Time Capsule for the initial backup, or use an Ethernet cable to connect your Mac to one of the Ethernet ports on the Time Capsule".

I have not found a good answer on how to change this connection from wifi to ethernet. Some recommend to turn off the wifi altogether - I can't do that as I need it for other devices - Others suggest to do this change using AirPort Utility but, when I access Airport Utility I can't find/follow the instructions given.

Your help is appreciated.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Run an Ethernet cable from your Mac to the Time Capsule. That's it.

OP
R
Reaction score
cwa107 - I did run a, Ethernet cable and was not able to connect; the wifi connection persisted.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cwa107 - I did run a, Ethernet cable and was not able to connect; the wifi connection persisted.

OK, so now you have two network connections instead of just one - is that a problem? If the WiFi connection really bothers you, disable the wifi connection on the Mac (not on the Time Capsule).

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies - I thought that i should only have 1 connection but not both- so, ** do I know which connection the system is using

(BTW i used to live in Mechnicsburg - now in AZ

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your replies - I thought that i should only have 1 connection but not both- so, ** do I know which connection the system is using

It will use both simultaneously. If you want to eliminate the wireless connection, go into System Preferences >> Network >> WiFi (on the left side) >> Advanced >> Select your network from the list and then click '-' to remove it.

(BTW i used to live in Mechnicsburg - now in AZ

Small world :)

I'll bet you miss the snow, huh? ;)

OP
R
Reaction score
cwa107 - thanks for your help - My wife is from HBG, lived in Mech 45+years- do not miss the snow but do miss trees, flowers, green grass and, of coure, many friend we left behind- Thanks again

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.