How do get Audio Line-in on MBP MD101LL/A

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2012 MackBook Pro, 2.53 GHz i7, 16GB Ram, 512GB SSD MacOS 10.14.6
I'm looking at buying a used MD101LL/A, Mid 2012 13" MBP. The one gotcha I see is that there is no line-in jack anymore. It has Headphone and Thunderbolt ports as well as USB. How do people record from an external source in this situation? I don't want to use the built-in mic.

Cliff

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I believe that the headphone jack is also a line-in jack. Just got to make sure the 1/8" jack has the correct numbers of "rings". I believe the correct jack has three rings.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.5; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.5; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I believe that the headphone jack is also a line-in jack. Just got to make sure the 1/8" jack has the correct numbers of "rings". I believe the correct jack has three rings....

Hi Nick - you responded while I was looking up the model on EveryMac - below is a screen capture of the 'Port Specs' - as to 'Sound In' has a single audio in/out port (blue arrow), so I'm assuming that you're correct - I've only used that port on my MBPro (2013) for headphones - never thought that sound could be also recorded too? Dave :)

Screen Shot 2015-12-05 at 3.01.44 PM.png

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi Nick - you responded while I was looking up the model on EveryMac - below is a screen capture of the 'Port Specs' - as to 'Sound In' has a single audio in/out port (blue arrow), so I'm assuming that you're correct - I've only used that port on my MBPro (2013) for headphones - never thought that sound could be also recorded too? Dave :)

Thanks for confirming Dave! I usually use that port for external speakers (audio out just like headphones)…but I think that once or twice I've used it for audio in. The image you imbedded cements things.:)

Thanks,

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Very interesting! Funny that the mention of "single audio in/out port" is in the row regarding the internal microphone.

I had been looking in MacTracker and it said this:

Audio Input: Built-in Microphone
Audio Output: Combined optical digital output/headphone out, 2 - Built-in speakers

No mention of Line-in there.

Would someone be willing to actually try it and confirm it? I believe that all of you believe all you've said, but I don't want to spend the money without 100% confirmation it works that way. I really wonder how it can differentiate between headphones and line-in since both normally are 1/8" three ring jacks unless it takes a special cable with a special jack to do it.

Thanks for your patience.

Cliff

C

chas_m

If you need LINE in rather than MIC in, I'd suggest you use a USB-based adapter like the Griffin iMic.

If you want to use a good quality microphone with the audio-in/out port, that should work fine with the proper adapter. I prefer using Blue's (or some other brand) USB microphones for mic input, as no analog conversion is required and they sound great and are reasonably priced.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.5; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.5; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Very interesting! Funny that the mention of "single audio in/out port" is in the row regarding the internal microphone.

I had been looking in MacTracker and it said this:

Audio Input: Built-in Microphone
Audio Output: Combined optical digital output/headphone out, 2 - Built-in speakers

No mention of Line-in there.

Would someone be willing to actually try it and confirm it? I believe that all of you believe all you've said, but I don't want to spend the money without 100% confirmation it works that way. I really wonder how it can differentiate between headphones and line-in since both normally are 1/8" three ring jacks unless it takes a special cable with a special jack to do it.

If you need LINE in rather than MIC in, I'd suggest you use a USB-based adapter like the Griffin iMic.

If you want to use a good quality microphone with the audio-in/out port, that should work fine with the proper adapter. I prefer using Blue's (or some other brand) USB microphones for mic input, as no analog conversion is required and they sound great and are reasonably priced.

Hi Cliff - now, Chas_m has offered a different option, i.e. using another input choice such as USB - have no experience so cannot comment. But, the dual-function headphone port piqued my interest - what is needed and what input functions does it provide, e.g. just microphone IN w/ mono sound or R/L stereo IN? I looked in System Preferences on my MBPro (early 2013) w/ El Capitan (11.1) in the Sound input panel and found no option to change to other than internal microphone input. Opened System Report and clicked on Audio which presented the first image below which indicated that an external microphone/iPhone headset is supported - SO, what to do?

A web-search brought up a discussion HERE which included the second image shown below, i.e. the need for a 3-ring plug (as I believe Nick suggested) - go to the link for more information. Checked on Amazon and found many 3-ring plugs, such as in the last image below. NOW, I do not have any 3-ring mini-stereo plugs in the house to test for you, sorry - BUT, for those who might or have experience, I would be curious if say I plugged in my iPod Touch to the headphone jack on my MBPro w/ that specific cable, could I play stereo from the iPod and record onto my laptop? I have no idea but would like to know? Dave :)

Screen Shot 2015-12-05 at 6.18.05 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-12-05 at 6.19.47 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-12-05 at 6.21.58 PM.png

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks to all for the input and research. Looks like it can be done, but would be a hassle just to run a analog line-in into it. Probably would have to have a USB-linein adapter as was suggested. Think I'll look for a little older model with the normal audio jacks.

Cliff

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
What kind of line level gear will you be using? You might consider one of the newer Macs and use an audio input (there are some in both USB and Firewire). My new Mac doesn't have line in connections so I am using a small audio mixer which can take input from several devices and feed it to my system via USB. This is what I'm using at the moment.

Others here with more experience can suggest other options but would need to know what kind of recording you're doing and gear you already have

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm just recording Sunday sermons, putting old cassette tapes on CD and simple things like that. For the sermons I use a lapel wireless mic into a receiver with line level output and the cassette player just a simple stereo audio cable to line-in. Nothing that I would want to spend a lot of money on a setup other than the Mac which is also my personal computer.

C

chas_m

I'd suggest the iMic from Griffin again. I've gotten YEARS of service out of mine doing much the same thing.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I have to agree Chas. Unless sound is coming from more than one input at a time, the iMac is great for that. I have two of them. The only reason I had to buy a second one is I thought I lost the first one. There are other similar devices on the market and some may even be cheaper but you can't beat the iMac for quality.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the info. It does sound like a possibility.

Cliff

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.