how close an app

Reaction score
I am trying to remove avast security using ccleaner but when I high light and click uninstall I get a message saying the app is still open and can't be removed ?. I have clicked on force quit but am still getting the same message any help on how to close this app please.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Here are 2 ideas:

1. Not sure if the "Force Quit" method used is the same as I'm about to describe. If it is different...give it a try.

To do a force quit...use the 3-key combo of command + option + esc. This should bring up a window with a list of open apps...then click on the app you wish to quit...then click the "Force Quit" button.

2. Open the utility app called "Activity Monitor". Look down the list and find the app you wish to close...click on it...then click on this button in the upper left corner of the Activity Monitor window:

Screen Shot 2021-01-21 at 4.13.41 PM.png

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Restart in Safe mode, then delete the app.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Avast installs in such a way that no user can delete it if the system is booted normally. Follow Bob's suggestion to boot into Safe mode (That should block Avast from starting) and then delete it. I would use AppCleaner to get all the debris it scatters all over the place.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.