How can upload files to iCloud using the app from an USB device?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I'm completely exhausted after reading this thread. Gnomac43, I think you should be concentrating on what is possible rather than your idea of what should be possible.
It seems obvious that you are dealing with a corporate quantity of data so perhaps a domestic solution is not for you. Very few users here would require more than 10TB of additional storage and if so should be looking at an NAS or External Expansion Drive as well as an off site backup Cloud Storage Plan with eg, Google Drive 100GB - 30TB or Mega 400GB - 50TB
I think I'm pretty safe in saying you wont find anyone else on these forums with your current problem.
In your post #4 you suggest 12TB of combined storage might be necessary and with that volume of data I really think you need a commercial solution.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
OP
G
Reaction score
I'm completely exhausted after reading this thread. Gnomac43, I think you should be concentrating on what is possible rather than your idea of what should be possible.
It seems obvious that you are dealing with a corporate quantity of data so perhaps a domestic solution is not for you. Very few users here would require more than 10TB of additional storage and if so should be looking at an NAS or External Expansion Drive as well as an off site backup Cloud Storage Plan with eg, Google Drive 100GB - 30TB or Mega 400GB - 50TB
I think I'm pretty safe in saying you wont find anyone else on these forums with your current problem.
In your post #4 you suggest 12TB of combined storage might be necessary and with that volume of data I really think you need a commercial solution.
I think you confused another thread, not even mine.
I didn't mention anything about 12 TB of data, max I mentioned a 2TB M2 in that post, precisely the 3rd post.

So your comment is not for me I think.

OP
G
Reaction score
And @Gnomac43, just for your interest, given one of your comments;

Q. "Does Time Machine backup iCloud Drive?"

A. Does Time Machine backup iCloud Drive? - Apple Community

I'm sorry things are in such a mess for you.

Ian
Thanks a lot for that.

I understood that is a mess, full stop.
I didn't face the problems of that thread, but I do see a bigger problem, not even with an admin user I can find my files in the entire TM blocks of snapshots, but I can find them with the user interface of TM.
In general, I don't trust this backup method, or at least is not the ONLY one I can rely on.
I should always have something simple like an option to make copy paste of all the folders/files, rather than figuring out how TM may or may not work at the last moment...

I think that the following compromise can be applied:
1. I keep using iCloud, and pay 7 pounds a month for 2TB

2. I'll have TM setup anyway, with all the files present on the disk. This implies that I have to rip off my wallet with a 2400 pounds machine minimum.

3. I need to use another 2TB drive for a simple copy-paste backup solution, but I'll buy 4TB to be safe, almost same price.

4. I'll need to pay another Cloud solution, most probably Dropbox because it supports incremental sync, that would work from the external location, hopefully I don't face problems with the PATH every time I reconnect the disk...

5. I need to pay MS 365 anyway, which makes the entire story quite sad. Currently that partition is set on the same M2 and it's so small that I can't sync up almost anything, it's just on demand... The implementation was also not very easy, I had to re-partition the disk, basically formatting everything if I recall well...
I could have probably used a secondary disk but at that time I was trying to fit everything on one disk, that exhausted very soon...
I don't see any option on the menu to change the PATH, but probably the reinstallation of the application could fix it... I do know though that the App settings don't disappear in MacOS, the software removal is just removing the "package" from "Apps"........
I think I'll find my way on this but still not clarified.

garnerfor

Reaction score
Launch iCloud on your computer > Click and enable iCloud Drive > Transfer files you want to iCloud Drive. Open Files app on your iPad > Select iCloud Drive option. You can see the files you transferred just now. forpc.onl youtube vanced for pc

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
not even with an admin user I can find my files in the entire TM blocks of snapshots, but I can find them with the user interface of TM.
Thats why I have a Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) backup of my user Data, it has the same format as the source Finder and is easy to Drag & Drop from. You can set incremental backups if required and "Keep Everything" options if you like in Safety Net. I have a TM backup as well but only access it for rare restoration tasks. It is essentially insurance because one backup is not enough.
I can ensure my data security with two 1TB EHD's and the second tier (50GB) of iCloud backup.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.