How can I slow down my Internet connection?

krs

Reaction score
This might sound like a strange request - so here is a bit of background.
At home I subscribe to 100/10 service via FTTH; speeds I'm actually getting is about 120 Mb/s down and 12 Mb/s up
So far so good
I'm currently at a different location with DSL and a very long loop and websites take forever to load, even email is very slow.
But......
I can clearly see at the bottom left of my FF browser window the activity that is going on, which on my 100/10 service is just a blur of a fraction of a second.
What I find a bit unnerving are some of the websites that show up when loading slowly - websites that have nothing to do (or so I thought) with what I'm doing.
For instance, I was just trying to connect to Via Rail (Canadian Passenger Train) to book a train ticket and facebook.com shows up several times during the connect cycle.

So I'm basically looking for some app or some other way to slow down the 100 Mb/s connection at home to about 0.5 Mb/s but just once in a while for the odd website where I want to see all the links that come up.
Maybe there is even a way to just list the intermediate connections - that would even be better.
Googling brought nothing - most hits were about speeding up a slow connection and the one that actually had comments about slowing down the connection came up with 3, what I think are somewhat idiotic, ways:
1. Install a 56k Modem
2. Max out your connection
3. Change your internet provider

PS: I would like to slow sown my internet connection only very occasionally and also not affect everyone in the family, so adjustments on the router are not a viable option.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
In your browser, just open up the Developer tools (OPT+CMD+i for Chrome, Brave, Opera) and there are other options for other browsers. In the Chrome like browsers, clicking on the Network tab will show you all the links that is loaded for a site.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That seems like a handy thing to know.

Would I be correct in assuming that these extraneous links are caused by trackers on the pages in question (site currently being viewed / site requested)?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sly, correct. There's usually a "index" file will be loaded and then all the assets will be loaded and along with any data from trackers and so on.

OP
krs

krs

Reaction score
In your browser, just open up the Developer tools (OPT+CMD+i for Chrome, Brave, Opera) and there are other options for other browsers. In the Chrome like browsers, clicking on the Network tab will show you all the links that is loaded for a site.
Perfect!
Thank-you, just what I wanted.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sly, correct. There's usually a "index" file will be loaded and then all the assets will be loaded and along with any data from trackers and so on.
I remember the index file from back in the day when I had to build a series of web pages for a class assignment in an Educational Technology class. Of course, that was long enough ago that there were no trackers involved. The pages were built in Netscape Communicator if that gives you any idea how long ago it was.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I remember the index file from back in the day when I had to build a series of web pages for a class assignment in an Educational Technology class. Of course, that was long enough ago that there were no trackers involved. The pages were built in Netscape Communicator if that gives you any idea how long ago it was.

Nice, I was using NSCA Mosaic for my website building needs, so yeah...:)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I remember that one too. At the time I was alternating from Netscape to a Mosaic-based browser for Mac called Internet Valet IIRC.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.