How can I print labels for my photo DVDS

Reaction score
I have just spent ages scanning in old photographs and saving them to disc. Is it possible to print disc labels free of charge or do I have to buy a special programme please?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
When I've stuck labels onto DVD's, most of the time they can't be read by my DVD player, nor CD's with stuck on photos on my car CD player. I've solved problem by buying printable DVD's and using the print program that came with an old colour printer that can print on DVD's (an Epson R300).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Do what i did and make a template in something like Pages with a circle that lines up with the commercial DVD labels, design your label and print.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I have just spent ages scanning in old photographs and saving them to disc. Is it possible to print disc labels free of charge or do I have to buy a special programme please?

I'd have to agree w/ Sawday - for years, I used stick-on paper labels for my burned CD-Rs & DVD-Rs - this was in my PC days; had a separate program to make the labels and used any of the commercial blank labels (Avery, Memorex, etc.) - all have played in my CD & DVD players, but the labels did not always stay adhered well, so a potential problem, especially if using a 'slot loading' optical drive like Apple's Super-Drive.

So, when I switched to Apple hardware, also purchased a new Canon Pixma printer that came w/ an optical disc tray, so bought some 'printable' CD-Rs (mainly for downloaded purchased music) & DVD-Rs - Canon has a free clunky program called Image Garden that serves my limited needs.

Thus, you could buy stick-on blank labels for your optical discs and just write on them (but be careful if you've already attached the label, i.e. use a felt pen or label first); many of the label makers also offer free templates at their websites for that purpose; I've also used iStudio Publisher for paper labels before making the switch described above - of course, if you want nicely printed labels, a printer is needed whether paper ones are used or an appropriate printer for the printable discs. Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
You can do a web search for free Mac CD/DVD Templates that you may be able to use with compatible software, but you may find it a hassle getting the image aligned properly.

If you go that route, print a sample on plain paper and then hold it up to a backlit glass door or window along with a disk and check for any offsets that might be required.

Avery has templates and labels available, and I'd advise using them or other good quality labels, and forget about even considering using some cheap brands that won't stick properly!! It's just not worth the risk or hassles!!

Avery used to supply a free app Avery DesignPro® for Mac but I don't know if it's still available but you can check their site as they have other options available, and some still free I think - maybe.
Avery Templates and Mac | Avery

If you have a lot of disks to do, you may want to consider some commercial software like Discus, or sometimes if you buy a Stomper labeller, they used to come with a version of Discus included, along with excellent quality labels.

And using a Stomper is well advised to get the label attached correctly. You do not want to end up with off centered, off balanced disks!!

Or course the suggestion to print on instead is excellent - if one has a compatible printer!! :D

C

chas_m

Seriously, DO NOT repeat DO NOT print to sticky paper templates for any sort of CDs/DVDs unless you enjoy paying techs to repeatedly repair or replace your slot-loading DVD drive.

Get a printer that can print your label designs directly on to the disc as suggested by Sawday in post #2 in this thread. You WILL repeat WILL later regret ever putting paper labels on optical media, no matter what system you use to do so.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Actually, stick on DVD/CD labels are back in vogue since all new Macs since 2012 are without a built in optical drive. The stick on labels work well with external optical drives that are tray loaders. But the warning about not using them in slot loading drives is valid.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
It really doesn't help when Apple released some Mac models with their optical drive slot too narrow, super sharp on the slot opening or just plain misaligned.

I had one iMac I had to smooth the sharp edges on so that the disks would go in and out properly, and they didn't even have a label attached.

But then there are some Apple USB Superdrive users who didn't have to worry at all as the Apple USB Superdrive wouldn't even work with their Mac model!!!
Apple USB Superdrive – A cautionary tale ? The Nifty Tech Blog

PS: I've never had any trouble using labels but maybe they're thinner than some and they sure have and use glue that will not let go!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2007 20" - OSX 10.10.4; iPad 2 - 2013 - iOS 8.1.2
Like Sawday, I recommend printing directly onto a printable CD or DVD disc. This will give you a professional-looking disc. Sure, I know you've already created your discs, but I was never totally pleased with the 'stick-on' labels. I have an Epson Photo Stylus RX-680 which does an excellent job, both on paper and blank discs. While I've had mine for over 4 years, i just found a new one on eBay for $150 + shipping. I also have a CIS system (continuous ink supply), which if you do a fair amount of printing, will reduce your printing ink costs down to a trickle (money, not the ink)!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.