How can I install Tiger to slot load G3 400MHZ

Reaction score
Hi. I have the following:

iMac Core 2 Duo 20" (I shall refer to this as Intel-iMac)

iMac G3 400mhz slot loader (I shall refer to this as PPC-iMac)

-----------------------------

I wish to put my Tiger DVD into my Intel-iMac, shut it down, then connect via firewire to PPC-iMac. I shall then start Intel-iMac in target-disk-mode *first*, and then start PPC-iMac, and hopefully see the Tiger DVD on the desktop, from which I shall install Tiger to the G3?.

Someone I spoke to, mentioned that it is not possible to interconnect PPC and Intel Macs, via target-disk-mode... is this true??.

Also - ram types
-------------------

I have some PC100 and PC133 SDRAM laying about - are there any particular types I should NOT use; EG: Not use single-sided sticks??. Any and every bit of information and help would be appreciated greatly. Many thanks guys!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz/4GB/250GB, G4 Cube 450MHz + 17" Studio LCD
I have a grape G3 400MHz iMac (with slot load DVD drive).

I installed a 512mb and 128mb stick of PC133 SDRAM to it (and an 80GB 7200rpm HDD) and installed Tiger.

I connected the iMac to my G4 Cube and put the iMac in target firewire mode.

I then used my Tiger install DVD in my Cube and told it to install on the iMac hard drive.

It installed perfectly and my sister uses the iMac every day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I wish to put my Tiger DVD into my Intel-iMac, shut it down, then connect via firewire to PPC-iMac. I shall then start Intel-iMac in target-disk-mode *first*, and then start PPC-iMac, and hopefully see the Tiger DVD on the desktop, from which I shall install Tiger to the G3?.
If your "Tiger" discs you mentioned are the ones that came with your Intel iMac, then no matter how you connect it.. it won't work.
The Intel version of Tiger won't install on a PPC system and vice versa.
Not only that, but they are two different machines and the install discs from one machine type will not install on another. (Yes, I know they are both 'iMacs', but they are two very different iMacs. Completely different machines that only share a name.)

OP
U
Reaction score
If your "Tiger" discs you mentioned are the ones that came with your Intel iMac, then no matter how you connect it.. it won't work.
The Intel version of Tiger won't install on a PPC system and vice versa.
Not only that, but they are two different machines and the install discs from one machine type will not install on another. (Yes, I know they are both 'iMacs', but they are two very different iMacs. Completely different machines that only share a name.)

Nope!. The disc I am going to install Tiger from, is the _proper_ Tiger 10.4.6 retail DVD, NOT a restore DVD!.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.