How can i install linux on my mac?

Reaction score
I have a macbook pro 2012 with Windows 10 since i deleted mac but i wanna make it so i can run windows and Linux, how can i do that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Since you are using a Windows computer, you set it up the same way as before.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
im nt using a windows computer, im using a mac

Not any more since you removed OS X and are running only Windows. As Bob stated above, set it up just as you would any other Windows computer for a dual boot or use virtual machine software. VirtualBox is free, Google it.

OP
M
Reaction score
how can i dual boot it since i already used partition 4 for Windows? when i formatted the E: which mac was on i tried to install but it said root not defined or whatever and it was formatted to ext4

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Here is a link to rEFInd which is an EFI boot manager. Also, I suggest you go to one of the many Linux forums and post your questions there as you will likely get more help from those folks. Try the Ubuntu forums as they're the most popular. Good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Why not sell it and buy yourself a more useful machine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
I tried installing Ubuntu Linux on a separate partition but I failed and ended up messing up my enter hard disk. I'd suggest reading several tutorials carefully as well as comments from users on how to troubleshoot.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When you're dealing with a machine that uses a BIOS to manage booting, installing Linux is easy. However, Macs do not have a BIOS and use EFI which is why it's more difficult. As I mentioned above to the OP, ask for help in a Linux forum. The Ubuntu forums are the best place to go as there are numerous users there who also dual boot Windows and many also dual boot with Mac OS X.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.