How can I get rid of the "Shop Amazon" ad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Ok, so what I see is same as you. The column to the right, whether the ad is visible or not, is there all the time. To get the space you sacrifice the menu bar. But the menu bar is how I navigate the site. I use "New Posts" every time I come here, and "Find Threads" at least a couple of times a week, maybe more. So, that's not a tradeoff I'm willing to make. And frankly, the ad is not offensive to me like I guess it is to others. It's an ad, and I can ignore it just like any other ad. But the space is not recoverable, so I just let it be there.

Oh the top bar I mentioned was just an example of killing something to reclaim space. I wouldn't normally do that. I don't have any ads on the top like the OP showed, even with AdGuard off. It may be a redesign of the site since then. It may well be that that bar could be blocked but still leave a blank space like on the right, I'm not sure. That's what I get for coming in late to a conversation. 😂 But normally, if I manually kill an ad element and see a "white" block in its place, I can kill that block and reclaim it entirely. Usually it just requires tweaking of the original block by "expanding" how much it takes away.

OP
pm-r
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
h the top bar I mentioned was just an example of killing something to reclaim space. I wouldn't normally do that. I don't have any ads on the top like the OP showed, even with AdGuard off. It may be a redesign of the site since then.

As the original OP for this thread, I must admit that the location of the Amazon add now to the right on the page is much more bearable than it had been originally when it was dead centre and quite annoying and pretending to be the main topic.
However or why it was moved is most appreciated as far as my recent viewing goes. Thanks 😇

BTW: when I use the Mac-Forums Amazon link to possibly make a purchase, I usually also get a notice from Amazon that I can shop at the Canadian site. I am not completely positive that Mac-forums still gets a percentage if and when I do make a purchase there.
You are on amazon.com. You can also shop on Amazon Canada for millions of products with fast local delivery. Click here to go to amazon.ca

- Patrick
=======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
BTW: when I use the Mac-Forums Amazon link to possibly make a purchase, I usually also get a notice from Amazon that I can shop at the Canadian site. I am not completely positive that Mac-forums still gets a percentage if and when I do make a purchase there.
As far as I understand the way it works, as long as you use our link to Amazon, we will get a percentage of the purchase. If I'm off base on that, Nick will chime in and clarify.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.