• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

How can I get MS Office for free?

Reaction score
Don't know if this is the forum to ask in, but we just got a new Dell laptop and it doesn't come with Office. I read somewhere that you can use it for free with an online version but I need some advice. Any help appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
MS Office is not free. Neither the PC nor Mac versions are free. What you might have heard is that there is a limited version which is sort of free that can be used on an iPad and iPhone, however, it's very limited in what it can do. In order to get full capability, you have to subscribe $$ to Office 365. If you need any further information, suggest going directly to the MS Office forums on their server.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Our thanks to members "LancashireArrow" and "chas_m" for the updated information regarding the web and iOS version of MS Office.

OP
U
Reaction score
So to clarify: I CAN get Office online for free?
Does anyone know the limitations?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
According to the updated information provided (above) you can get the web version of Office for free. Did you read the links that appear in those posts? They give you some idea of what you can do with the free version. I would not expect the free version to work and have the same capability that the paid for Mac Office 2011 or PC Office 2013 have as far as creating and editing. Again, check with the Microsoft instructions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A1286 MBP5,3 running 10.9.5, iphone6, Mac mini1,1 A1176 120/2gb
set up a "fundme" acct and get donations to buy it, or have a friend buy it. Either way for free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
The Free account should be all most home and school users would ever need.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
As someone who uses the free version on a regular basis as a complement to my installed copy, it gets the job done...98% of the time. Once in a blue moon, there's some weird formatting issues but it still renders most Word, Powerpoint and Excel documents like a charm. It also auto-saves everything to a OneDrive account and has a Time Machine style backup system in place.

Honestly, you get me started on the Office/OneDrive combination and I won't be able to stop talking about how it is a great example of how to do a cloud based solution right (to be fair, if you're an iWork user, iCloud/iWork probably gives it a run for its money).

OP
U
Reaction score
Been trying it- kind of annoying, especially with Windows 8. How do I get around this problem: I want to open a Word document but I can't because I don't have Word. How do I get it open with my Online version? Is it just opening the online Word and going to "Open"? The problem is I can't even see where stuff is getting saved (I emailed a Word document to myself then downloaded it)!

Reaction score
Ok i can solve this easy.

Install libreoffice its free and writes word documents there is also other alternatives like purchasing a older version of office you know office 97 office 95 office 2000 that doesn't require product activation after all its just a word processor who cares what version its from when microsoft will still open older files

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Another alternative is OpenOffice, you can open Word docs including docx. This is truely an excellent set of open source apps caperble of doing anything Microsoft Office can do and all documents can be saved as Microsoft versions. you can get it from the developers here;
Apache OpenOffice - The Free and Open Productivity Suite

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Been trying it- kind of annoying, especially with Windows 8. How do I get around this problem: I want to open a Word document but I can't because I don't have Word. How do I get it open with my Online version? Is it just opening the online Word and going to "Open"? The problem is I can't even see where stuff is getting saved (I emailed a Word document to myself then downloaded it)!

You need to learn how to use the free on line version first. Documents are stored and/or uploaded to the cloud. The cloud in this case is Microsoft's "OneDrive" which is free. Install OneDrive on your computer and then place your Word, Excel, and Powerpoint documents there for edit and save.

Edit: I forgot to mention that you must have an account with Microsoft in order to download and use OneDrive. The account is free.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBPr 15in. 2018, 2.9GHz i9, 32 GB
Ok i can solve this easy.

Install libreoffice its free and writes word documents there is also other alternatives like purchasing a older version of office you know office 97 office 95 office 2000 that doesn't require product activation after all its just a word processor who cares what version its from when microsoft will still open older files

I've been using LibreOffice, since they split off from OpenOffice. I'm pleased with it's capabilities.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, OSX 10.8.5, 2.5 GHz Intel core i5 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 - I also have an iPad Air.
Hi everyone! I hope it's OK to jump in here; I've been using OpenOffice for many years, my main complaint about it is it crashes a lot. If LibreOffice is better, I'd gladly switch, but I don't know anything about it, except what johnodd4 said. It seems I had forgotten LibreOffice was once part of it. A couple of years ago I may've read something about that. If I hadn't peeked in here, I would've never remembered. Thanks.

OP
U
Reaction score
I will try those options. In the meantime I have this obnoxious Microsoft Works that wants to keep getting in the way of my Word documents (this is my desktop now). Can't I just trash this piece of crap? Or will it harm my installation of Word? Also, can I get older versions of Word for free online? Lastly, if I have Word on another computer can't I just copy it or do I need some kind of special installation disk? Thanks!

C

chas_m

I will try those options. In the meantime I have this obnoxious Microsoft Works that wants to keep getting in the way of my Word documents (this is my desktop now). Can't I just trash this piece of crap?

Yes, and you should! Read up on proper uninstall directions, however; it's not just dragging the program to the trash like most Mac programs, sadly.

Or will it harm my installation of Word?

If you uninstall it properly, no.

Also, can I get older versions of Word for free online?

No.

Lastly, if I have Word on another computer can't I just copy it or do I need some kind of special installation disk?

Each installation of Word requires its own license, so no.

Reaction score
Just for giggles: i thought this forum was for MAC users! The dude has a new DELL!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.