How can I get all image and video files to be dragged from DVD to new MacBook Pro?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 16 Inch 2019 MacOS Catalina 10.15.3 (19D76)
I have an old DVD that has many old family images and videos on it. Some of the files are easily dragged and dropped from the DVD to my hard drive. However, others are not. At a certain point, the files just keep copying but never complete. So far, I have been able to drag over 3.GB of files. The remaining amount I am having issue with.

I am using a new MacBook Pro 16 computer that is running on macOS Catalina version 10.15.4. I have 32 GB of Memory and the processor is 2.4 GHz. Everything is the latest.

The following folders I am having a problem with are over a GB.

One folder has old DV movie files. It won't copy over. Even when I try to convert the DVD movie files with the free MP4 Converter app, it won't open the DV Movie files that did indeed copy to my hard drive.

There are many folders that have images too. These I am having a problem copying over as well. When I open the folder from within the DVD, its taking a long time to load the images from within the DVD/Folder.

The DVD itself takes a very long time to show up on my desktop from the external DVD.

Being that many of these images are old family images and videos that have sentimental value, I am hoping there is a way for me to remedy this issue.

Thanks for your help.

Update: I just tried to drag over a folder with images from the DVD to my hard drive with only about 1.5MG on it. It would not copy the images. Only the folder was dragged over. The copying process lasted many minutes. I got the following error after only the folder was dragged over but not the images:

TÀe Finder can't complete the operation because some data in
"_DS_Store" can't be read or written.

(Error code -36)

OK

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
I haven't a solution but old videos I had have not survived OS updates and the demise of the old movie app. I would guess you are experiencing the same anomoly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
If you double click on the DVD after it shows up in Finder, can you drag the entire "DVD" to a Finder folder? Even if it is a "video TS" folder?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Is it a dvd to be played in a DVD Player, or is it just a dvd full of data files(ie, video files, jpegs etc etc)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
How scratched up is the DVD? The fact it is having issues reading the _DS_Store file indicated potential damage. If there is anyway you can do a copy of the DVD that may fix it. I have done that and the new copy would work perfect.

Lisa

Reaction score
Have you tried dragging single files or smaller groups of files instead of trying to drag the whole folder? That should narrow it down to the specific files within those folders that are causing the hangup. Make note of those as they come and manually copy the rest over.

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you double click on the DVD after it shows up in Finder, can you drag the entire "DVD" to a Finder folder? Even if it is a "video TS" folder?

Hi,

Given that the DVD has more than 4 GB of files on it, I have not tried dragging the entire DVD to my Finder folder. I could try, but we both know it would take hours upon hours.

By the way, what do you mean by video TS?

I had no problems dragging over the first several files over from the DVD to the hard drive. But after a the first 10 it stops dragging over.

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't a solution but old videos I had have not survived OS updates and the demise of the old movie app. I would guess you are experiencing the same anomoly.

Hi,

Surely there must be a solution to be able to convert the old files to a new format.

- - - Updated - - -

Is it a dvd to be played in a DVD Player, or is it just a dvd full of data files(ie, video files, jpegs etc etc)?

Hi,

It's just a DVD full of data files.

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How scratched up is the DVD? The fact it is having issues reading the _DS_Store file indicated potential damage. If there is anyway you can do a copy of the DVD that may fix it. I have done that and the new copy would work perfect.

Lisa

Hi,

The DVD is a little bit smudged with no out of the ordinary scratches on it. I suppose I can clean it. Is water good enough to clean it with?

As for rerecording a DVD, that's a good idea. However, I only have one external DVD recorder. Maybe I have an older one laying around. I'll have to check.

- - - Updated - - -

Have you tried dragging single files or smaller groups of files instead of trying to drag the whole folder? That should narrow it down to the specific files within those folders that are causing the hangup. Make note of those as they come and manually copy the rest over.

Hi,

Yes, I have been dragging single files over from the DVD to my hard drive from the start. The first 10 files drag over fine. It's after that the problem starts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Is water good enough to clean it with?
The more important thing is a soft, clean cloth.

I usually use mild liquid car wax, for heavy scratches.

Reaction score
Hi,

The DVD is a little bit smudged with no out of the ordinary scratches on it. I suppose I can clean it. Is water good enough to clean it with?

As for rerecording a DVD, that's a good idea. However, I only have one external DVD recorder. Maybe I have an older one laying around. I'll have to check.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi,

Yes, I have been dragging single files over from the DVD to my hard drive from the start. The first 10 files drag over fine. It's after that the problem starts.

Ok it's just that the wording of your post sounded like you were only dragging entire folders. Just wanted to be sure. Can't believe I failed to ask the obvious question: are you able to successfully OPEN the problem files directly from the DVD media?

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok it's just that the wording of your post sounded like you were only dragging entire folders. Just wanted to be sure. Can't believe I failed to ask the obvious question: are you able to successfully OPEN the problem files directly from the DVD media?

I'm sorry for my late response.

To answer your questions, the files and folders that are not dragging over from the DVD to my MacBook Pro are taking an extremely long time to open. In fact, some of them do not open.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@MacLover2011 Earlier in the thread you asked about a Video_TS folder. Yjat's the kind of folder that would be created if the files had been burned to play in a commercial DVD player. f you don't see that folder the most likely reason is that the disc was burned as a data DVD. Playable k n a computer's DVD drive but not in a stand alone movie player.That shouldn't affect file recovery efforts.

You've been given some good advice so far. My suspicion is that either:
1. The DVD disc itself is dirty at some critical point in the disc (i.e. directory structure). If it is just dirty cleaning the disc may help as has been suggested.

2. The disc has become scratched enough that it doesn't read properly. In my experience it doesn't take much to do this and some brands of blank discs seem more prone to this than others. One of the data recovery programs for Mac might help. I've used Disk Dirll before but don't remember if it works on DVDs. There is a demo available.

3. Before investing in recovery software try using a different DVD drive.Sometimes the laser in one drive will be able to read a disc where another drive won't be able to do so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
To answer your questions, the files and folders that are not dragging over from the DVD to my MacBook Pro...

You could try using Carbon Copy Cloner to copy/clone just the folder containing the videos and movies that sometimes works with some stubborn files.

Then try and open them once they are on your hard drive, if they happen to copy over.

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.