How big is too big in display?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First Mac Plus 1987
I'm going to pull the trigger and take the plunge buying a new Mac mini or iMac or a refurbished model. I've been using an HP 22" widescreen LCD with my PC but am considering a 27" iMac or even a 28" widescreen aftermarket to go with the Mac mini. I have two questions is there a noticeable difference between LCD and LED monitors? The other question is can you have a monitor TOO LARGE to comfortably view 15" to 18" in front of you? I was totally stoked when I graduated from a 15" crt monitor to my 22" widescreen LCD, I really like big displays.:eek::D

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you're a game player, yes, the screen can get too big. One of my first experiments was wih a 32" screen. Sitting at a desk, most people are about 2' from the screen. The 32" was really nice for just about everything except games. Especially if you're one that tends to have multiple windows open.

With a game, you're going to find yourself actually moving your head from side to side to see everything going on in the game. Found myself having to move back to the 4-6' range for quite a few games to be able to see the whole screen at once.

Downsized to a 26" which made the 2' (maybe 3') range much more playable. Of course, if you just play point and clicks, these sizes won't matter a lot.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First Mac Plus 1987
Thanks for the insight, however, I don't game but often have multiple windows open at one time. Where I really enjoy a large display is in working with images in Photoshop. How about the difference in LCD vs LED monitors?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I personally think that a 24" widescreen is just about perfect. Any more than that and you really have to wag your head back and forth to get a good visual on what's going on.

One of my VPs decided to bring in his own personal 42" Sony Bravia and have it wall mounted. His laptop was connected via a docking station to that as his primary display. I can tell you it was incredibly difficult to do anything productive on THAT display. Bigger is not always better.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First Mac Plus 1987
LED image acuity up close?

How about the iMac LED 27", is visual acuity lost when viewing from 15" to
18" away?

P.S. Is it just me or do others consider the Image Verification really necessary for forum postings? I think they are a pain in the ***.:Shouting:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I've had a 27" iMac for just a couple of weeks now but I can honestly say I've never used a better monitor screen. Bright, clear, stable high res. It was my main reason for getting the iMac in the first place.

As far as LED and non LED lit screens it depends. I've seen some poor LED screens (MSI gaming laptops for example). But the MacBook and Dell LED screens I've used are great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
I had the same issue when I was looking for a cinema display to go with my MPB in my office. I initially went with a 20 inch, but recently bought a used 23 inch. For me I have three apps open all the time in one space: iCal, Mail and Things. The 23 inch pretty much fits my needs now, as where the 20 inch seemed a bit cramped.

C

chas_m

LCD vs. LED: no contest, LED all the way (particularly when talking about the higher-quality IPS screens Apple uses).

LCD is backlit by flourescent bulbs. LED backlit screens are far more even, more colour accurate, and we believe they will prove far more durable (oh, and more energy efficient). There is basically no argument for LCD over LED.

Reaction score
went from a 22" LG flatron LCD that i used for probably 3 years. i loved that thing and had no intention of ever getting rid of it....then i got a 27" imac, and the LG went on craigslist with a quickness. no comparison. zero. the biggest issue with the 27" is that if you dont keep the brightness down, your eyes will hurt after a short while. this is no problem though considering the button for the screen brightness is right on the keyboard. issue #2 is that you cant see text very well because its so freaking small. this was a big problem for me until i figured out the CMD + / CMD - shortcut. you just increase the text size a couple of times and it's good. infact, i can show you what i mean in a minute. but before that, i thought my 22" was big. but the first time you sit down at a 27" on your desk, you just cannot seem to get over it for a few days. haha, it's crazy.

Reaction score
this is standard text size (i sit 2-2.5 feet away from the screen).
Screenshot2010-04-16at42924PM.png

this is increased 3 times with the CMD + shortcut.
Screenshot2010-04-16at42952PM.png

other than that, i love the **** thing. i also edit photos and i cannot believe how bad some of the color is on my previously edited photos. i forget all the times i cranked up the brightness and stuff on my LG when i was playing games. haha, ooops. it is now very apparent.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
this is increased 3 times with the CMD + shortcut.
If you are constantly increasing the font size in your web browsers then it might be easier for you to just go into the browser's preference setting and permanently increase the minimum font size. In Safari go into the Advanced preference setting and check the "never use font size smaller than" feature. I like using 12 but try out which number works for you.

The drawback of doing it this way instead of Command + is that it will only increase the minimum font size to what you set it to and nothing else. This sometimes causes websites to look funny because everything doesn't increase proportionally like it does doing it your current way. The benefit is that it doesn't blur images on websites because you are not zooming in on them. I prefer the few website layout problems rather than the blurring of images.

The other question is can you have a monitor TOO LARGE to comfortably view 15" to 18" in front of you? I was totally stoked when I graduated from a 15" crt monitor to my 22" widescreen LCD, I really like big displays.:eek::D
I guess that would depend on your preference. If the screen is so large that I have to constantly move my head back and forth to see it all then it would be too big for me. If you don't care about that then a large screen might not affect you much.

As cwa said, bigger is not always better. It's the same reason why I have a 15" laptop rather than a 17". It was just too big and heavy for me to use as a portable. I think finding the perfect size for your needs is more important than simply getting the biggest thing you can find. ;D

Reaction score
<3 <3 you just added about 10 years to my eyeballs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.