How are you finding Safari 13.0.2 ?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I saw this link macOS Catalina: How to use the new features in Safari 13 | Macworld in another post and thought as I was now giving Safari 13 another try as default I'd check out the new features.
One of these features is tiling windows to the left or right of screen in the Window Menu. What is supposed to happen is the active window moves left or right according to your selection and the inactive windows should be displayed as tiles in the other half of the screen.
Is this working for anyone else?
Try as I might to make this work I cannot. The active window moves left or right but the rest of the screen is empty. See below, note there are two other inactive windows that should be tiled.

Screen Shot 2019-10-13 at 12.33.03 pm.png

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Rod.

I knew this was a feature of iPadOS 13.x and it works fine on my iPad Pro; but not having macOS Catalina yet, I didn't realise that that feature had been carried over to it as well. Nor did I realise that it was directly related to Safari 13.0.2 which I have on my iMac running macOS Mojave.

I assumed the feature was an OS matter. If indeed it is supposed to work in macOS Catalina, then I guess your problem may have to be added to the list of misbehaviours that have so far been reported.

Sorry. My post isn't much help, I acknowledge.:sd

Ian

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Yes, it's possible that this feature works in Safari 13 even in Mojave. Check if you have the Tile Windows left/right under the Window Menu.
If so maybe it works in Mojave and this is as you suggest another Catalina issue.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Rod

Check if you have the Tile Windows left/right under the Window Menu.

I don't appear to have that option. This is what I see under the Window Menu:

Screenshot 2019-10-13 at 12.23.11 pm?.png

Ian

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@Rod Thanks for that article. If I had remembered that those features had been added I'd have been using them during the beta.

I just tried that feature and it works for me (sorta). The first time I tried it the man window shifted to the left as I told it to. Thumbnails of other Safari windows appeared on the right and the one I chose then appeared on the other side of the screen. When I tried it the second time (after telling it to move the primary window to the right) no other Safari windows were available to choose but other windows were (Finder. Mail, etc).

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I don't believe the "other" windows have to Safari windows. They can be windows of any other application. For my test, I already had Chrome running, I opened up Safari and opened two windows. When I asked one of the Safari windowed to be tiled to the left, I got to choose from the other Safari window or Chrome window. I then returned to my normal non-tiled/non-fullscreen mode and closed one of the Safari windows. With the open Safari window, I asked it to tile to the right and now only had the Chrome as an option on the left. When I selected the Chrome window, the tiling happened again.

I got out of this mode both times by hitting the ESC key. However, I found that the "other" window that was tiled on the opposite side remained in full-screen mode and took over the entire screen.

So, in my second test, my desktop only had the Safari window and I had to swipe to the find the Chrome window and then exit full-screen on it to bring it back.

This largely looks like a useless feature if the purpose is to quickly tile a couple of applications for comparing info.

I find that the Spectacle is much better suited for this since I can operate on ANY window.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You're right. The other windows don't have to be Safari windows. I was able to choose a Finder window in one test. I didn't explain that well.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Looks like another thing for Apple to fix. Probably not a feature I would use anyway. When I tried it I had two other apps open and two other non active tabs in Safari and despite numerous tries I got a blank other half of the screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was trying it basically to see what I could do with it. Like, how could this be useful to me? It's not really like iPad OS Split Screen for which I can see some uses but it's so difficult for me to get the gestures right that sometimes I just give up.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.