hot powerbook

I

Icarus

now I understand that them powerbooks get hot - but my powerbook seems to be super hot - and say 20 minutes into something that requires a lot of power, (ak games or editing) the fan turns on and won't go away..this also is noticable when I am charging also -

is this normal behavior?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Dunno, try to install Temperature Monitor and see what that reads...

OP
T

tariq

my 12" PB normally idles at 43C (109.4F) and during gaming it reaches 61C (141.8F) in a 26C (80F) environment placed on a desk

OP
C

chronogoof89

I'm interested in this Temperature Monitor.. Where can I get it? Free? It uses the processor's built in thermometer right?

OP
G

G4Grover

My 15" runs between 50c and 60c during normal use. I use Temp Monitor almost always as I too am a bit worried about heat. I also use a Targus Podium Coolpad ( http://www.targus.com/us/product_details.asp?sku=PA241U ) and it helps *some* (its more piece of mind, I guess) Though I noticed it leaves little black rings on the back of the PB where it gets hot. Still have to figure out how to clean them off.

OP
C

chronogoof89

G4Grover said:
My 15" runs between 50c and 60c during normal use. I use Temp Monitor almost always as I too am a bit worried about heat. I also use a Targus Podium Coolpad ( http://www.targus.com/us/product_details.asp?sku=PA241U ) and it helps *some* (its more piece of mind, I guess) Though I noticed it leaves little black rings on the back of the PB where it gets hot. Still have to figure out how to clean them off.

Cool. My processor is running at 141.3 degrees. Just curious.. At what temperature should I worry... I'm really a car guy and 61 / 141 is nothing for a car, so....

OP
I

Icarus

right now I'm running at 95 F, 35 C...not doing anything. When I'm playing games I think it gets up to 140 F...

OP
M

Matt

Have you got one that reads in Degrees centregrade, or does that one read both Farinheight and centregrade?

OP
W

wickedbusa

So does anyone know how hot is too hot? I haven't been above 125 F, but is there like a danger zone where I should shut down?

OP
C

chronogoof89

wickedbusa said:
So does anyone know how hot is too hot? I haven't been above 125 F, but is there like a danger zone where I should shut down?

I find that it runs cooler with the power adapter not plugged in. I'm running everything I was when I last posted (141 degrees). Now I'm running off the battery, I'm at 117.

In all honesty, I really wouldn't worry about overheating a stock Mac. Its not like your processor is overclocked, I'm sure they are designed to be run at processor speeds of 160+ all day. No problem. So, yeah the PB has adequate cooling you don't need to worry about overheating it IMO, but I think its nice to know in case something happens like the fan fails to turn on (mine has been coming on at 145F I think) or is broken or something happens that causes the processor to cook, you'll know when the numbers are WAY above normal (based on what you are doing). For example, don't freak out if you are always at 120, then one day you are editting video and doing all kinds of stuff and it goes up to 150. But if for some random reason it goes to 150 doing the normal surfing or whatever that normally only gets to 120, maybe try to figure out what it going on.

I'm sure there is an internal kill-switch that automatically shuts down the machine if it is about to cook the proccessor.

OP
C

Cloudane

IMO if anything overheats in normal conditions then it's Apple's problem, and one that I don't believe they have very often.

On the other hand, it's nice to be able to limit damage when you see it coming,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
My processor bottomside is usually around 55 or maybe 56 while normal use - browsing, listening to music, movies, etc...

OP
I

IndianPowerbook

xbox=games
mac=iChat, iPod transferring, digital imaging, making movies, managing school documents, managing school schedule

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
IndianPowerbook said:
xbox=games
mac=iChat, iPod transferring, digital imaging, making movies, managing school documents, managing school schedule

and this has something remotely related to the topic in what way? ;)

OP
S

st0rmtr00per

I was wondering how good the iBreeze is to cool the Powerbook. Its the one with the two usb powered fans on the bottom?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
Ah don't worry about it guys...

Apple know's how hot a PowerBook can get, they have installed 2 cooling fans in both the 15" and 17" versions, while the 12" version only has 1 and it gets the hottest!. When your system temperature exceeds 60°C they come on. If your really quiet, you can hear them working.

iBook 12
attachment.php

PowerBook 12
attachment.php

PowerBook 15
(left)
attachment.php

(right)
attachment.php

PowerBook 17
attachment.php

screenshot_01.jpg

screenshot_03.jpg

screenshot_04.jpg

screenshot_05.jpg

screenshot_06.jpg

OP
C

Cloudane

How reliable are these fans, has anyone had problems with them? They'd better last longer without 'groaning' than the Northbridge fan on my PC motherboard :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.