Home sharing

Reaction score
Just recently when I switch to apple tv it doesn't see my itunes library despite the PC being on, itunes open and home sharing on and signed in. I have to turn off home sharing then turn it back on and sign in, apple tv sees it straight away then, it is the same for Apple tv in the young ones bedroom.

I have checked all the settings (I think), wake etc, can anyone tell me whT is wrong or anything I am forgetting in settings etc?

Thanks

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I've had the same issue with Home Sharing connecting to my iDevices for audio/video. If I restart Home Sharing on my computer then it works again for a short time..

There aren't a lot of setting to play with either, so not sure why the thing times out..

OP
C
Reaction score
I've just been using apple tv downstairs, we have come upstairs and the one up there cannot see my library, weird.

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
I think it's the latest version of iOS on the ATV. I have a 2nd gen upstairs in my house, and a 3rd gen downstairs. The 2nd gen is no longer supported by updates, so it is on a different (older) build than the 3rd gen device. The 2nd gen device is much more stable than the 3rd gen with the latest software.

I have to turn Homesharing off and on again (ha!) on my gen 3 before it will access my media library. The 2nd gen just stays connected.

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This morning I reconnected my ATV3 to Homesharing (by turning Homesharing off then on) then I did a 'Restart' of the ATV3. It has held the connection to Homesharing since then, which is now around 4-5 hrs. This might be worth a try for other people with problems of Homesharing being dropped by their ATV?

Previously, my ATV had been losing the link in a matter of minutes.

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's now 24hrs since the restart and my ATV3 is still showing via Homesharing, so I count that as a fix for my problem at least.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Seems to one (rare) area where Apple software is a little flaky. Every time I want my Apple TV to connect to my iMac I have to turn sharing of then on again. Odd that it cannot remember or access current setting without effectively a 'reset'.

OP
C
Reaction score
Once connected and using I don't lose the signal. It is just when I restart, next day for instance I have to turn off and turn back on home sharing. Computer is also set not to sleep.

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My setup is an ATV3 downstairs and an ATV2 upstairs. My media server is a Mac Mini running Yosemite and set to operate 24/7. The ATV3 is connected via a hard wire to the Mini, whilst the ATV2 connects via wifi.

Since I did a 'reset' of my ATV3 about a week ago now it has kept connected perfectly via Homesharing. The ATV2 has been robust for a longer period, but as I noted unthread it is no longer supported for the latest OS updates.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.