Hitachi: I've decided to give you another chance

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
For those of you that don't know, I have an early 2008 MacBook Pro that came originally with a Fujitsu 200GB 5400rpm drive. I pretty much immediately swapped it with a 320GB Seagate 7200rpm drive and was reasonably happy with it. It was quiet and unobtrusive, but the thing that always got me about it was how slow it was for a 7200rpm drive.

I scoured through benchmarks and found that it was literally half the speed of the posted benchmarks on other sites for this drive. So, on a hunch, I decided to bite the bullet and pick up a Western Digital of the same spec. Sure enough, performance improved noticeably and the benchmarks reflected that. The big problem? This WD drive vibrates like mad and is noisy, particularly noticeably in a quiet room. And I'm not talking about the clicking of the heads moving, but the actual hum of the disk. It drove me nuts, so NewEgg kindly swapped it out for an identical drive.

The replacement was better, but still somewhat annoying - especially once it started to "break in".

So, after many months of research, I decided that the WD needed to go when I saw very favorable reviews of the Hitachi 7K500 on NewEgg. I picked the drive up at NewEgg for $109 (with a $15 rebate).

Now, I have publicly bashed Hitachi on this forum and others for many years. At work, I have seen literally hundreds of dead Hitachi drives and I was convinced that they were the brand to avoid. But in recent years, I've started to see a lot of praise for them too.

So, I have bitten the bullet. I am putting my faith (and my data) in this drive. I sincerely hope their more recent reputation is befitting. So far, I am VERY pleased. This drive is very quiet (silent, even) and has no detectable vibration. Oh, and it's very fast too - even benchmarks better than the WD it replaced.

Fingers crossed, but needless to say, I will be doing very regular backups (as always).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Cool. That's the one I've been eyeing on Newegg.
How long have you had it installed? I'll be interested to see if it is a "keeper" for you.

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cool. That's the one I've been eyeing on Newegg.
How long have you had it installed? I'll be interested to see if it is a "keeper" for you.

Oh, just a few hours now - I'd say it's too early to make a solid judgment, but if the reviews hold true, I'll be a believer in Hitachi once again.

I used to like IBM's drives quite a bit - always thought that when they turned the reigns over to Hitachi, things went downhill. But maybe I'll be proven wrong. Worst case scenario, it has a 3 year warranty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well good luck Chris, however in my book Hitachi still equals IBM DeathStar!

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well good luck Chris, however in my book Hitachi still equals IBM DeathStar!

I have to tell you, I felt exactly the same way. But rarely do you see a product get "5 eggs" on NewEgg if it isn't really stellar. So, let's hope the masses are right on this one.

The last drive I bought that was Hitachi was a 7K60 for my old Inspiron 8200. This was probably circa 2003. It was the very first 7200rpm hard drive made in a 2.5 formfactor.

The drive was fine during my ownership, but I sold the laptop about a year after I bought the drive. A year later, the new owner asked me to look at the laptop because it had a spyware problem (go figure). So, I took it and immediately noticed that the drive had a serious whine. Once I had it cleaned up, I noticed that it was throwing errors for bad sectors. So, I did a surface scan and repair (which allocates out the bad sectors). The drive was usable, but clearly on its way out. Thankfully it wasn't my problem anymore.

I bought this one with the knowledge that I probably will replace this machine after the AppleCare runs out in March of 2011. So, if it makes a year without any issues, I'll be happy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Ahh the memories of click clacking and whining of DeathStars. Never to be heard again hopefully.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I also have heard good things about the recent Hitachi drives. I hope it works well for you. Do keep us posted.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Makes me wonder about the WDs. Mine is still working pretty much flawlessly... totally quiet. However, I did notice a vibration like you were talking about just last week for the first time. Only happened the one time, but I sure wouldn't want one that did that all the time. Felt almost like it was out of balance.

And I've already had 1 of 2 WD Green 1.5TB drives die in a month's time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I've been one of the lucky ones, as I'm still running with the original HD that came with this late 07 MB HITACHI - HTS542512K9SA00 120 GB SATA Hard Drive

Have heard not a peep out of it, and it's just been purring along.
In saying that, I keep it near empty, and keep my faith with my eternal WD for storage which occasionally has a little vibrating dance!
I am looking at upgrading my internal soon, but every time I hear a good wrap about many of these WD and Seagate 7200rpm HD's I hear of the problems soon after.

I'm hoping that the new gen of Hitachi 7200rpm HDs stand up as well as my old 5200rpm, so I hope to hear more good wraps soon :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 12 MBP 8gb ram, Crucial M4 SSD 512gb, Sandy Bridge i7
For those of you that don't know, I have an early 2008 MacBook Pro that came originally with a Fujitsu 200GB 5400rpm drive. I pretty much immediately swapped it with a 320GB Seagate 7200rpm drive and was reasonably happy with it. It was quiet and unobtrusive, but the thing that always got me about it was how slow it was for a 7200rpm drive.

I scoured through benchmarks and found that it was literally half the speed of the posted benchmarks on other sites for this drive. So, on a hunch, I decided to bite the bullet and pick up a Western Digital of the same spec. Sure enough, performance improved noticeably and the benchmarks reflected that. The big problem? This WD drive vibrates like mad and is noisy, particularly noticeably in a quiet room. And I'm not talking about the clicking of the heads moving, but the actual hum of the disk. It drove me nuts, so NewEgg kindly swapped it out for an identical drive.

The replacement was better, but still somewhat annoying - especially once it started to "break in".

So, after many months of research, I decided that the WD needed to go when I saw very favorable reviews of the Hitachi 7K500 on NewEgg. I picked the drive up at NewEgg for $109 (with a $15 rebate).

Now, I have publicly bashed Hitachi on this forum and others for many years. At work, I have seen literally hundreds of dead Hitachi drives and I was convinced that they were the brand to avoid. But in recent years, I've started to see a lot of praise for them too.

So, I have bitten the bullet. I am putting my faith (and my data) in this drive. I sincerely hope their more recent reputation is befitting. So far, I am VERY pleased. This drive is very quiet (silent, even) and has no detectable vibration. Oh, and it's very fast too - even benchmarks better than the WD it replaced.

Fingers crossed, but needless to say, I will be doing very regular backups (as always).

Just love my Hitachi hard drives.

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm sitting here on the recliner, surfing the web and this thing is as cool as ice. And even with it finally silent in the house (yes, the kids are in bed), I hear nothing more than a slight hiss. The Seagate was easily this quiet and smooth running, but it did not stay this cool.

Still very impressed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.