Hit certain key

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M2 16GB Memory Apple M2 Chip, Somona
When I had Mojave I was able to hit F12 and it will take me back to where theres Calculators, Mapof USA, Weather, etc I dont see it in Catalina?? Cannot find it in Safari Settings

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
If you are referring to widgets, then yes they are no longer included with macOS Catalina.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you sure Ron, F12 has always been volume up on an Apple keyboard? In any event, like Bob said, widgets are gone with Catalina.

In macOS Catalina, Dashboard is nowhere to be found at all. ... Many features of Dashboard can now be accessed via the Today tab in Notification Center on the Mac. Here, you can add widgets for various applications like Reminders, Calendar, weather, stocks, and more. It also integrates with third-party applications.

OP
Dittoman1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M2 16GB Memory Apple M2 Chip, Somona
Yes I mean Widget... Thanks

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I/we really should add that fact to the list of noticeable differences when upgrading from Mojave to Catalina. I really didn't realise how many people used them and it's not really mentioned much on web sites covering the topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

krs

Reaction score
In macOS Catalina, Dashboard is nowhere to be found at all. ... Many features of Dashboard can now be accessed via the Today tab in Notification Center on the Mac. Here, you can add widgets for various applications like Reminders, Calendar, weather, stocks, and more. It also integrates with third-party applications.
Charlie - where did you find that note?
Was it something that Apple published?

It seemed until now when Widgets came up on Catalina the reply was either what ferrarr posted or if one asked about a specific one, there was possibly an alternative that was suggested.
I use at least one of iStat, weather, calculator or calendar daily and at least those seem to be available on Catalina.

BTW - F12 is the volume up key asyou mentioned, but when one is in the Dashboard, hitting F12 will get one back to the desktop and the app one was using.
I never knew that, I always used the escape key for that.

krs

Reaction score
Thanks Charlie,

I tried setting this up on Mojave per the instructions in the link you posted.

Ran into a couple of issues right away.
1. Setting up the top left corner as a "Hot Corner" only brings up the Notification Center sporadically. I often need two or three tries
2. I would really like the Notification Center Window on the left side of the screen. For one, I read from left to right and on the right the window also hides other info
3. When the Notification Center is open, the Dock which I have set to the left of the screen and to automatically hide when not used, will not open.

That is all on macOS 10.14.6 - maybe Catalina works better.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.