Hijacked!!! How'd This Happen

Reaction score
I was in another forum earlier today and I saw a discussion thread that caught my eye. In the thread was a link to an article (subject is not important). I read the article and left a comment.

My home screen is Google and I use Google Talk so I decided to bring up another window in case I had a conversation going on. I looked at the screen and I couldn't believe what I saw. It was the front page of the internet article I was reading (forget the sites name). No matter what I did I couldn't get to google. Even typing in Google wouldn't get me there.

Well, since I have the Apple Service Plan and I couldn't Google the answer I decided to call Apple. It took about an hour but we managed to get this evil malware out of my Mac.

I should mention Apple had me send data to them and also took note of the problem web site. Still I'm shocked that this happened to a Mac. Things like this don't happen to us. They happen to PC's.

I guess i learned Mac isn't invincible. I may purchase some virus protection now. I'm looking at Virus Barrier X5, I bookmarked it a while back. Think this would of helped prevent this?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many devices to list
What would be better would be safe browsing habits. Was the page you visited credible?

Anything can happen to any operating system. You need to be careful about becoming comfortable with Macs in terms of security. Too much comfort leads to complacency and that can be a very dangerous thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
No, Virus Barrier isn't likely to stop this sort of garbage, because it isn't a virus.

From my own experience, and that of several others who've sought advice, the problem is likely to be cookies. Reset your browser, including Remove All Cookies and Empty the Cache.

I've lost count of the number of people who have Accept All Cookies enabled in the browser they use. Reason? The C-B-B disease - Can't Be Bothered! Bothered, that is, to make a judgement about which cookies to accept and which to decline. If it's of any help in these circumstances, set your browser preferences > Privacy (or Security) to Don't Accept any cookies. You will need to adjust that setting from time-to-time, because secure websites, like your bank, or others used for online transactions, eg. iTunes store, need access to a cookie on your computer in order to work properly.

OP
H
Reaction score
No, Virus Barrier isn't likely to stop this sort of garbage, because it isn't a virus.

From my own experience, and that of several others who've sought advice, the problem is likely to be cookies. Reset your browser, including Remove All Cookies and Empty the Cache.

I've lost count of the number of people who have Accept All Cookies enabled in the browser they use. Reason? The C-B-B disease - Can't Be Bothered! Bothered, that is, to make a judgement about which cookies to accept and which to decline. If it's of any help in these circumstances, set your browser preferences > Privacy (or Security) to Don't Accept any cookies. You will need to adjust that setting from time-to-time, because secure websites, like your bank, or others used for online transactions, eg. iTunes store, need access to a cookie on your computer in order to work properly.

I really didn't think twice about it. How many time have I been in a forum and in the discussion there is a link.

I don't think the OP was hijacking me, I think it was just a bad site. The article he referred me to was written by "staff writer" and I didn't even bother to read it. Still all it took was a second. Now I'm afraid to click on any link.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I really didn't think twice about it. How many time have I been in a forum and in the discussion there is a link. ... I didn't even bother to read it. ... Now I'm afraid to click on any link.

Don't be - and welcome to the club, a membership of thousands, of those who've been taken in by what seem to be credible links. You need to remember that forums are moderated, this one particularly so, and known bad or suspicious links are soon blocked.

So, instead of being afraid, be vigilant - and, unfortunately, be suspicious! As advised, set cookies to Don't Accept, until you've learned the art of discerning what is genuine; and which are ads, malware and the like.

Be assured too that the MacOS firewall is very good at blocking access to your computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
There was a time when computers were tools, now they are considered toys.
Along with that, people behavior changed and they accept risk ' by default ', not by conscious decision !

Cheers ... McBie

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.