High Sierra Boot Startup Disk can not permissions!

Reaction score
Trying to change to read and write for Mac HS start up Disk to run speed check on SSD disk.

Disk Utility shows owners enabled but no owners selection on Get Info.

Also under name, my admin user name is not listed and I can not add it, no permissions.

What is going on?????

Screen Shot 2022-08-08 at 4.24.15 PM.png

Last edited:

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I really don't understand what you are trying to do. You have told us some observations you have made but there are not enough details to answer, "What's going on?"
For example I see the HS drive was created recently, how did you do that?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@rlm45

Have you by any chance got a Fusion Drive in your Mac? And have you tried to install High Sierra on a Partition, perhaps created by yourself?

It's kind of the only way I can understand what you are posting.

From which, you will gather that we need tons more details about your setup.

As you've posted over 340 posts previously, no doubt there is information in these, but fair's fair, we can't be expected to go through all of them ;)

Ian

OP
R
Reaction score
I was running high sierra from booted from the USB attached SSD. I was trying to run a speed test on the start up drive and it would not run because of permissions. There was no way I could find to change the permissions on the start up drive. I kept getting the above message. What I did was restart the Mac from another startup drive, and then I changed the permissions on the High Sierra SSD startup drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I was running high sierra from booted from the USB attached SSD. I was trying to run a speed test on the start up drive and it would not run because of permissions.

Why not just run a few speed test using a watch with a second hand and transfer a few different sized files, and then get out of the calculator.

No real need to run a speed test application. Just file sizes and times to transfer.

There are even some online calculators to do the math for you if you need.

Here's one you can use:
Data Transfer Calculator

- Patrick
=======

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.