High ping times to local router

Reaction score
I am using a wireless network on a dlink router. When I ping my local 192.168.0.1 router in OSX, the average time is between 50 - 500ms. When I boot into XP via bootcamp, pinging the same router gives me ping times of 1ms.

I have all available software updates for OSX.

There is obviously something wrong here... I would have thought it's a router or interference thing, but because XP works fine, I'm inclined to think it's a problem with OSX.

Do you have any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
When I ping my router in OS X, I get this:

round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 1.742/1.822/1.994/0.083 ms

If your times are that skewed between Mac and Windows, then there is something else afoot. It isn't an issue with the operating system. Have you tried to ping other addresses?
Go ahead and ping:
This address is known as the local loopback address. See what your results are with that.

In the end, I really wouldn't be too upset with ping results. All it really does is tell you if a server is reachable or not. It isn't a very accurate measure of speed or connection quality. You would be better off doing a traceroute for that sort of diagnostic.

OP
J
Reaction score
Pinging 127.0.0.1 in OSX gives times under 1 ms. Traceroute takes me to the router in one hop (with the same high ping time).

It's not just ping times that are high, my entire internet connection is slower. I was uploading to an FTP server and the speed was less than 1 kb/s. I then booted into windows and maxed out my ISPs upstream.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.