Hi guys

C

CFX

Hey all, just a new member here. I have currently been looking for a Macintosh forum to hang out with since I am getting my new Mac soon. It will be a Power PC G5, I think that is what it is called. This will be my very first Mac ever. I am so exited because I do webdevelopement and programming. I have heard that Macs are the best for it.

Well I am extremely excited but nervous at the same time. I was wondering if anyone of you guys could help me out. Like I said I am EXTREMELY new to Macs. There is one thing I am unsure of, I am learning to program in C++ and I dont know any Mac compilers out there. If you guys know of any similar to the Windows DevC++ or Visual C++ that is free or cheep or just give a price. Thanks.

I was also wondering, is there any good web developement programs for webdesign for Macs? I used photoshop and dreamweaver and flash on this pc. Know of anything good for Macs too? Thanks.

[EDIT] What would I use for HTML and all those languages? Also are there any cool simple Mac languages I could start to learn? BTW what are some good Mac programs. Thanks,
Russ

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
You can just call it a G5 and everybody knows what you are talking about

XCode which will come with your G5 can program in C++

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/xcode/

Dreamweaver is still the most popular webdesign program

The only real language you can learn is how to do everything in OS X's Terminal

OP
C

CFX

Ok thank you so much. I have a couple other questions. My friend is on a PC and we are doing C++ together, if I use xCode and do my coding and applications can I send it to him and it will work?

What are some good webdesigning programs that are cheep for Macs, I did see dreamweaver. Can you download them for Macs like you did on PC?

Thanks,
Russ

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am not a programmer but I would assume you can save it in a format that you friend can view since it is the same language.

I don't know of any other webdesign programs (I just use HTML).
For the downloading question I am assuming you mean off of macromedias website since thats the only legal way then yes you can.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
trpnmonkey41 said:

Got that right. The ideal Mac web development "tool kit" consists of one copy of BBEdit (text) and one copy of Dreamweaver (WYSIWYG.)

OP
C

CFX

technologist said:
Got that right. The ideal Mac web development "tool kit" consists of one copy of BBEdit (text) and one copy of Dreamweaver (WYSIWYG.)

What tool kit?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
not a tool kit but the selection of programs for a web developer should include both of them

OP
C

CFX

trpnmonkey41 said:
not a tool kit but the selection of programs for a web developer should include both of them

I have been on Apple.com and looking at the features for OS X so all of this comes free with it? What other programs for developement come free with it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
CFX said:
I have been on Apple.com and looking at the features for OS X so all of this comes free with it? What other programs for developement come free with it?
Perl comes with it

OP
C

CFX

I was also wondering how fast this computer would be. I'm getting 1.8Ghz I think. So what is that equivilent to in a PC speed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
CFX said:
Ok thank you so much. I have a couple other questions. My friend is on a PC and we are doing C++ together, if I use xCode and do my coding and applications can I send it to him and it will work?

What are some good webdesigning programs that are cheep for Macs, I did see dreamweaver. Can you download them for Macs like you did on PC?

Thanks,
Russ

If your goona write code for platform porting, then may i suggest you use the CodeWarrior Technology, although it's not cheap, you can port to just about any platform using IDE's.

About the CodeWarrior Technology
The backbone of all of our software tools is the CodeWarrior™ integrated development environment (IDE). Using the CodeWarrior IDE, developers get the benefit of using common functionality across a broad range of processors and platforms from Motorola to Texas Instruments to Intel. The CodeWarrior compiler and debugger are ranked #1 in usage among commercially available embedded software development tools according to a Gartner Dataquest report. And those are only two of our popular CodeWarrior software development tools. Our offering includes all of the key tools necessary to build platforms and applications — IDE, compiler, debugger, editor, linker, assembler, etc. In addition, the CodeWarrior IDE allows developers to plug in their favorite tools, giving them the freedom to work the way they want.

By combining state-of-the-art debugging technology with the simplicity of a robust development environment, Metrowerks CodeWarrior Development Studio takes C/C++ source-level debugging and embedded application development to a new level. The development studio provides a highly visual and automated framework that accelerates the development of even the most complex applications, so creating applications is fast and easy for developers of all experience levels.

It is a single development environment that is consistent across all supported workstations and personal computers. On each of the supported platforms, the features and uses are identical. There is no need to worry about host-to-host incompatibilities.

Apple's Xcode is good, if your gonna develop for the Mac OSX platform, after all, thats why they give it to you.

CFX said:

If your going to use server technology on your G5 Then you might want to ser up your localhost witht the "PHP Apache Module (latest version 4.3.6)" then maybe either MySQL or PostgreSQL Database Server.

You can get the software from here... Entropy

Good luck.

OP
M

MoltenLava

CFX said:
I was also wondering how fast this computer would be. I'm getting 1.8Ghz I think. So what is that equivilent to in a PC speed?

I've never used a G5 before, but according to the spec G5 is much faster on floating point than on integer calculations. Doing everyday tasks, it's probably comparable to 2GHz Pentium 4. Doing floating point intensive tasks will be comparable to 3GHz Pentium 4.

The UI might not feel as snappy on your Mac, depending on your videocard. The reason for that is OS X UI is heavily 3D accelerated. On your Mac, getting a good 3D videocard is going to improve not just the gaming, but it will also improve everyday use of UI.

OP
C

CFX

Ok, guys. Im actually not sure what to get. For a G5 could you guys maybe customize me one? This is what I will be doing, webdesign, programming and one game with some various other stuff. But I do want a GOOD computer with the newest tech. So if you could customize a laptop and a G5 and show me the specs, thanks!

OP
M

MoltenLava

For web design, programming, and some games, I would just get a dual CPU G4 and take a good vacation with the money saved by going with G4 instead of G5.

What you NEED is a plain G4 and up. What you WANT is something that only you'd know.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.