HI 8 video

Reaction score
Hai, I would like to digitalization all my old HI 8- and DV films.: I have a MacBook Pro Retina but I can't get a connection from S-Video to a Thunderbolt or USB. What is the best way to get any results. I hope somebody can give me the right solution.

C

chas_m

Most hi-8 and DV cameras I ever used had a Firewire connection (though some of them coughSONYcough didn't call it that), which worked great. You might look for a camera that has that connection and use that to transfer your tapes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A1286 MBP5,3 running 10.9.5, iphone6, Mac mini1,1 A1176 120/2gb
Hey Bob, My question is this. Does that elgato converter make or change the resolution? I have a hi-8 camcorder and the coughSONYcough unit that I have that converts it from analog to digital doesn't make it look that much better, actually slightly worse, but at least it is on my mac now. Does this unit work well, or am I expecting too much from a hi-8 format which I have no idea of the resolution it outputs.

C

chas_m

Hi-8 should be capable of 640x480, might even do 720x480 (this is NTSC equipment we're talking about here. The Sony one I had (briefly, they are reviled for being Mac-unfriendly as I quickly discovered) had an "iLink" connector which is, in fact, FireWire 400, they just didn't want to pay Apple for the name (see what I mean!). Maybe yours has something like that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A1286 MBP5,3 running 10.9.5, iphone6, Mac mini1,1 A1176 120/2gb
The one I have is a DVMC-DA2. I am beginning to think that we have the same resolution. It just looks worse on today's LARGE flatscreen TVs. At least it isn't me ;-) Thanks Chas_m!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.