• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Here’s everything Apple announced at the “One More Thing” event today

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24-inch, M1, 2021, 256GB 16GB memory. MBA M1 2020 256GB, 8GB memory.
I ordered my MBA M1 yesterday, should be delivered during the next few days. I will want to use Migration Assistant to transfer everything from my iMac Late 2012 to the new MBA. Will the MBA's USB-C lead connect into the Thunderbolt socket on the iMac for this purpose? I've googled it but I am none the wiser. Thanks

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Short answer, no! Unless you can find appropriate adaptors.
Personally I would not normally use Migration Assistant anyway but I appreciate that due to the change in input/output ports between devices it's become more of a topic lately.
Really Time Machine is ideally suited to this task. During Setup of the new device you will have the option to restore data from a Time Machine backup. There are even some options to omit eg. applications, Folders and so on but if you restore all you will have all of the data from your earlier device, including the structure and placement of folders, email, keychain passwords, desktop folders, preferences etc.
Obviously there is a catch here; you need to have a Time Machine backup and the device you use (EHD) must be able to plug into both devices. Fortunately that last is fairly simple. You are almost sure to need at least one USB to USB-C adaptor if not a hub so a stock standard HDD (spinner) External HD will do nicely unless you have or can afford a portable SSD.
The only down side to this method is that you may be transferring some stuff you don't want.
One big upside is having a Time Machine backup is a very valuable asset.
If you decide to go this way ensure you update your old devices as far as possible before creating the backup.

PS. I would not consider undertaking what you propose without a full backup of your original device anyway. Lastly a portable SSD will be a good investment into the future if you need to buy an EHD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 13 v11.1, i5 2.4 GHz, 256 GBs SSD, 8 GBs DDRs
I'm with @Rod on this question...

There's no no USB protocol supported in Thunderbolt 1 and 2, only PCIe 2.0, Display Port 1.1a and 2.0 respectively. Thunderbolt 3 supports PCIe 3.0 Display Port 2.2, USB 3.1 gen 2 and power delivery.

All Thunderbolt versions has direct access to the the internal PCIe data bus, the transfer speed depends on its version. The PCIe 3.0 is getting somewhat old, the latest AMD CPU based systems moved on to PCIe 4.0. Intel will be following AMD sometimes this year, if they ever get their act together....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24-inch, M1, 2021, 256GB 16GB memory. MBA M1 2020 256GB, 8GB memory.
I'm with @Rod on this question...

There's no no USB protocol supported in Thunderbolt 1 and 2, only PCIe 2.0, Display Port 1.1a and 2.0 respectively. Thunderbolt 3 supports PCIe 3.0 Display Port 2.2, USB 3.1 gen 2 and power delivery.

All Thunderbolt versions has direct access to the the internal PCIe data bus, the transfer speed depends on its version. The PCIe 3.0 is getting somewhat old, the latest AMD CPU based systems moved on to PCIe 4.0. Intel will be following AMD sometimes this year, if they ever get their act together....
Thank you to both of you for your replies. I have 2 WD My Passport for Mac external drives and back up once per month on both of them (belt and braces!). I will do back ups on both immediately before I transfer to the MBA. Thanks for the answer on the Thunderbolt question. I'll buy the Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adaptor for this purpose as I'll have need for the HDMI connection for our T.V. and I might buy a larger screen Monitor for the MBA.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.