help

Reaction score
my macbook has decided not to work. It takes about 5-10 minutes to boot up then once the log in screen appears the mouse and keyboard won't work. after a while i can move the mouse then the keyboard will work and i can log on. once I log in (which doesn't take very long) it runs very slowly. Any advice would be appreciated. I have already tried formatting the hard drive and restoring from a backup. I was using rEFIt but it stopped showing up shortly after the problem started.
I have a white 13" Macbook, 2.13ghz and the latest update of Lion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
How much ram is in the Macbook? Lion is a hog for ram. Have you tried repairing the permissions or better download Onyx, install and run it to fix and clean you machine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
How big is your Hard Drive and how much free space do you have ?

OP
V
Reaction score
my hard drive is 250 gb and it has plenty of free space, over 100 gb. I installed Snow leopard from the disk i got when I bought my mac and am using a different account. I can access all my other files from it but when I try to log onto my old account It slows down again and basically stops. It is still very slow in booting though not as slow as before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)
i was under the impression that the recommended 'minimum' requirement of RAM to run lion was 4gb, not 2. That is to say it WILL run on 2gb but not without frustration.

please read the link below which kind of says it all.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3238726?start=0&tstart=0

maybe you need to upgrade your RAM. there are many posts on here with advice on what to buy and how to install.

J

p.s As has been advised on other threads, if you articulate the thread title to your problem and not use a generic 'Help' tag, it will help members navigate to your question quicker..just a thought though..

J

OP
V
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice, though I have been using lion for months and haven't had any problems until a few days ago. I installed snow leopard and it will still slow down incredibly. I tried installing the updates and after it installed them it tried to restart and now it will not even boot.
it seemed that there might be something in my files that is screwing everything up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.