Help with viruses please

Reaction score
Hello there everyone,

I've been told it's impossible to get a virus on my Macbook Pro! How true or false is that?

If it's false, what's the best downloadable anti-virus application available online?

Thank you.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hello there everyone,

I've been told it's impossible to get a virus on my Macbook Pro! How true or false is that?

If it's false, what's the best downloadable anti-virus application available online?

Thank you.

In the past, people have painted the Mac as being immune from viruses. In truth, no operating system is immune from viruses, but you are less likely to encounter one with the Mac.

There are many reasons why, but at the moment, there are no viruses in the wild for Mac OS X. So, antivirus applications for the Mac mostly scan for Windows viruses (which you are immune to, but could potentially pass one along to a Windows user).

There are two types of trojans (undesirable programs that are disguised as desirable ones, not a real virus). These are mostly linked to fake video players and pirated copies of iWork '09.

In short, you have no need for an anti-virus product as long as you observe the following simple rules:

1. Never download anything from an untrusted source.
2. If you do download something from the internet, be sure that you understand exactly what the program does and why you need it.
3. Be particularly wary if you go to install an application and you are prompted for your admin password - this means that the program is trying to modify system directories (or files), which is normally not necessary.
4. Don't download pirated software.

Follow these rules and you will likely never encounter a virus or any other malware on your Mac.

If you feel the need to run a periodic virus scan, I would recommend ClamXAV. There is also a free program called iAntiVirus, but it's been known to cause more harm than good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MBP 2.66, 750GB 7200RPM HD, 8GB RAM; iPhone4S 64GB; 32GB iPad, White, AT&T.
Wow, I loved this quote from the article:

"...more problems have been caused by anti-virus software on Mac OS X systems than actual vulnerabilities thwarted."

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.