• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Help with Video Clip Storage and Workflow

Reaction score
Hi

I am about to poull the trigger on Final Cut Pro after using iMovie for some time. I am starting to rack up a significant amount of video clips and wondered what 'best practice' people had for dealing with those.

I travel full time in my Truck Camper ( YouTube Channel ) [expired You Tube link removed] and currently have clips stashed in folders by country but I can imagine this will lead to the hard drive being full very quickly, especially as they are also stored in iMovie events, which I guess means that they are on the HD twice.

I also have a 2TB hard Lacie Rugged drive and would be happy to pay for a fairly sizeable Google Drive upgrade or something like the cheaper iDrive..

My questions are:

How do you deal with clip storage?
Store on HD? In the Movie making app? On an external HD? Back up to cloud? Or move between those things whilst working on them and after working on them?

Do you tend to keep originals or delete after the movie is made?

Will that change if you were moving from iMovie to Final Cut?

Thanks in advance. Any other tips would be great too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.