Help with new drive

Reaction score
Wondered if someone can offer advice as I can't seem to find a relevant thread in search.

I am upgrading my hard drive from 500GB to 1TB on my 2 year old 15" Macbook pro.

I was told to get a caddy for the new drive and transfer my old hard drive to the new one which is sitting in the caddy. In other words my macbook is the old drive and I transfer everything to the drive sitting in the caddy.

Is this possible?

Thanks for any help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Yep, very simple too. You can use CarbonCopyCloner to clone your old hard drive to the new one, and continue working like nothing changed.

OP
D
Reaction score
So if I use it to clone the hard drive to the new one I can then swap them round and carry on as if nothing has happened apart from having an extra 500G available?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That's right. Very useful thing ti have around. Having a current clone has saved me a few times.

OP
D
Reaction score
Awesome thanks

I know its stretch but once I've cloned and then put the new hard drive in. Could I then do a complete delete and install? It's just my Mac is running slow as I have a large amount of data and I think there maybe some software conflicts.
Last time it happened I did this and manually reinstalled the programs i wanted which was like having a new MAc. Problem is I have Lion. Does this make it harder?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Nope, you can still do that also if you wish. You'll want to boot from the Lion Recovery partition on your current HD to install Lion on the new drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.