• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Help with importing DV-VCR (HDV) Tape Camcorder to iMovie 08

Reaction score
Hi I really need help with importing some files. I have a Sony HDV/DV Tape Handycam Camcorder of some kind. It uses tapes and the only way I can connect is through firewire. So I connect and iMovie opens up the import window. The thing is when I click import where I want it to import, it doesn't display on my Mac but only displays on my camcorder. The main problem, once I press stop and click done, it doesn't generate any thumbnails or new events. It's like I import it and then it just stops. I really need help because I like taking videos and I have a simple not nearly as good video camera that's easy to use but I want Hi-Def footage. If you don't understand the problem just reply with your question and I will be sure to answer.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
First, saying "I have a Sony HDV/DV Tape Handycam Camcorder of some kind" isn't good enough. If you supply the model number someone might have information for you that comes from real experience with the camera. Others might be willing to look up something about the camera and still help you out. When you supply incomplete information, expect less from the responses.

With my very limited Sony experience, I found I had to read the manual on how to set the camera settings for firewire transfer to read the camera properly for HDV content. I don't remember the details.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.