Help!!! Total Newbie!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook2,1 2 GHz, 1 GB, 667 MHz, Ipod 4 GB Nano, 2nd gen Ipod shuffle, Ipod touch 8GB
Hi All,

I've just recently bought a Macbook and I'm lovin it!! I am however not very computer literate, luckily I'm a fast learner! What I need to know is how to run my virus scans with virex? And do I need any other progs like adaware or spybot? I sincerely apologise for the ignorance but any advice/suggestions would be very much appreciated and you all seem like a nice bunch so HELP!!

Thanks Charlotte x

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
No Worries. Remember, there are no dumb questions, just dumb people, er, I mean, answers. j/k ;)

Since Windows runs exactly the same on a Mac as it does on native windows computers, the install and run of the programs is exactly the same. I've never used the programs you mentioned personally, so I can't comment on exactly how that is done.

Welcome to the forum!

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've just recently bought a Macbook and I'm lovin it!! I am however not very computer literate, luckily I'm a fast learner! What I need to know is how to run my virus scans with virex? And do I need any other progs like adaware or spybot? I sincerely apologise for the ignorance but any advice/suggestions would be very much appreciated and you all seem like a nice bunch so HELP!!

Thanks Charlotte x

You won't need those programs unless you plan to run Windows XP via either Parallels or Boot Camp. Win XP, although running on your Mac will still be vulnerable to exactly the same attacks PC's come under.

Otherwise all you really need to care about is keeping the ship running smoothly and there are several maintenance apps for free that you should consider:

OnyX [click link]
MainMenu [click link]
Maintenance [click link]

There are others and Mac even comes pre-installed with its own program which lives at:

MacintoshHD -> Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility

This program is used frequently to verify/repair Permissions as well as your Macs Hard Drive.

The only virus scanner I'm aware of is ClamXav [click link] but I stopped using it as I consider the Macs FireWall to be enough security if properly configured.

:headphone

Reaction score
I'd definately agree with Pulse-8 recommending OnyX... its great!

As far as virus scanning goes. On OS X a virus is uncommon. There are not many out there. I dont bother running a virus scan at all.

Although you should consider it if you are going to be using it on a network with out "Windows Friends" .. because, of course you Mac can carry the virus.

Reaction score
Charlotte,

I have never used Virex either... however I don't agree with Pulse. It's not that they're not correct (there's not a known virus that affects OS X currently). However, I'm sure you have a ton of friends and family that DO run windows. So, in consideration of others, it's a good idea to keep a virus program on your machine. You could easily have viruses in your computer and email them to someone else... and NEVER know it.

I use Norton for mac and it's not memory hungry. Additionally, just because there's NOT a virus doesn't mean there won't be... and personally, I'd prefer to have up to date virus defiinitions and such just in case.

I do believe Virex is only compatible up to OS X 9.2.2 so you'll need to look for a different program. Hope this helps and guys I'm not busting on anyone; it's just my stupid opinion! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.