HELP stop the system crashing in Premiere

Reaction score
I'm running Premiere 15.4.1 (latest version as of this time) on an imac 2020 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 with 40 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 and a Radeon Pro Vega 48 8 GB, using Big Sur 11.4.
I have a 3 monitor setup; Built in retina:27-inch (5120 × 2880), Apple LED Cinema: 27-inch (2560 × 1440) and an ASUS VP28U.
Up until recently (about 8 months since purchase) I've had zero issues, but now Premiere freezes at no specific moment (happens during playback, scrubbing, color correction...) causing a system crash and restart.

Oh, and the imac also crashes and restarts when going to sleep. I assume it's a conflict between Big Sur and the monitor setup...

Has anyone else had this issue and worked out a solution?

Thx in advance!

Last edited:

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Well, no, I haven’t had this issue or worked out a solution; but you are not keeping up to date with Big Sur which has gone through various updates since 11.4, and through 11.5 and now is at 11.6.

Before any other considerations, please update to 11.6 because some of these updates including the latest are major security updates.

In addition, maybe some of your problems may, or not, have been resolved.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Yes, like Ian said - update Big Sur first. Also have you installed any add-ons to Premiere lately? Is it happening with a specific piece of video or audio? How full is your scratch drive?

I run Premiere Pro mostly on my Windows PC but I also do projects on my 2020 13" MBP. It has an i7, 32gb with 1TB internal storage plus an external SSD. I attach it to two 27" monitors. I have found if I have any crash issues it usually is because of a piece of video. It has been a while as both my systems have been really solid but I do feel your frustration. I know when it happens it is always during crunch time on a project. Usually if I can recreate the crash and figure out what potential piece of video it is I will export the piece then bring it back into the project and that usually fixes my issues.

Since you indicate your system is crashing during sleep also try doing some troubleshooting - disconnect one of the monitors and see what happens. Based on the results try disconnecting the other one and see what happens - you get the idea. See if it is a monitor issue with just one or both. Also I recommend running Onyx - it is free comes recommended by me and many others on this forum and may correct some issues causing the problem.

If you have any crash reports listed in the console you could post it. That would also help us to see what is going on.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.