Help please...imac wont do anything :(

M

Macpunk

Hi..I have a problem with my imac
It has been running fine up until today. I recently installed OS X and everything worked just fine. But when i turned it on this morning nothing happned. I messed a bit with the cables and pulled out the powercord and plugged it in again. Then it imidiatly powered on and it just look like it's on stand-by. The harddrive doesn't boot and the mac icon doesn't show(the mac sound is gone to). the powerbutton isn't working either. Then, i pulled the powercord again and plugged it in again = same thing happened(or didn't happen).
What can I do?? Can't see why it should be broken just like that.

My specs are(not that they matter, I guess):

blue Imac G3 333 MhZ
192 mb ram
20 gb hd
Tray loading

Can i please have some pointers??, I really don't know what to do

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
are you able to boot the system at all, say from CD? Did you happen to have an electrical storm the night before or a power surge?

OP
M

Macpunk

deus_ex_machina said:
are you able to boot the system at all, say from CD? Did you happen to have an electrical storm the night before or a power surge?

NO and No, It wont boot or anything. And there has been no storm either. I really can't see what should be wrong with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
Reaction score
I've got an imac 333mhz lime and have pulled the cable on many occasions and never had a problem. It sounds like it's short circuited and blown the power supply. Does the fan turn on ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've got an imac 233mhz for my gf and it runs 10.3.8 reasonably well (for 256MB RAM) w/o problem. Although the previous owner installed Jaguar and I only upgraded it. With a bad power supply would it still trigger power lights just not enough juice to boot?

Reaction score
deus_ex_machina said:
With a bad power supply would it still trigger power lights just not enough juice to boot?
He said that the 'powerbutton isn't working either' so I'm not sure if this means that it's just non responsive or that it's not even lighting up ? I guess we will just have to wait and see. :D

OP
M

Macpunk

Mr Bobbins said:
He said that the 'powerbutton isn't working either' so I'm not sure if this means that it's just non responsive or that it's not even lighting up ? I guess we will just have to wait and see. :D

The powere button is lighting up.
The fan is also working.

But something wierd happened. I turned it on this morning(to witness my misery once more), and it booted up like normally. Of course thats good, but i'm still pretty skeptic. I think it's the powersupply thats semi-****ed!

Reaction score
Lets hope not as they are a classic in the Design history of iMacs, still look great to me. Give the machine a good testing and let us know if any further problems arise. :cool:

OP
M

Macpunk

Mr Bobbins said:
Lets hope not as they are a classic in the Design history of iMacs, still look great to me. Give the machine a good testing and let us know if any further problems arise. :cool:

Are there any programs i can use for benchmarks??...I hope it will continue to work, cos i can't affford a new one

OP
M

Macpunk

It's been working fine the last couple of days, but theres still something wrong with it. When it switches off to standby-mode and i move the mouse to "wake" it, it freezes...What can be wrong??

Reaction score
Have you tried pressing the space bar on the keyboard. If it's running in OSX then you'll need to do this to wake it up.

Xbench can be used for benchmarking, here is the link:

http://www.xbench.com/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.